Stuck in a Silo? Practical Pointers to Improve Interprofessional Care in Parkinson's Disease
September 15, 2020
7:00 - 9:00 p.m. ET
Sponsored by LSVT Global
Do your speech, physical and occupational therapy rehab teams have loosely coordinated goals for patients with Parkinson’s disease (PD), but no real synergy? Are treatments given in isolation with little to no therapeutic collaboration? Are you a private practitioner without access to rehab colleagues? Join our multidisciplinary team during this live chat to learn how SLPs, PTs and OTs can integrate treatment goals across their disciplines. Using LSVT LOUD and LSVT BIG you can provide coordinated, evidence-based, direct intervention for people with PD. LSVT LOUD and LSVT BIG are effective speech, physical and occupational therapy protocols developed and researched for people with PD. These treatments are unique in that each discipline targets the same underlying movement scaling deficits and promotes sensory recalibration in people with PD. This allows therapists to work on common therapeutic goals across disciplines – providing an excellent model for true interprofessional collaboration. During our live chat we will discuss how to apply interprofessional practice practically and effectively for people with PD. We will address common logistical issues (as summarized below) along with your specific questions.
- How might collaborating through common treatment goals across professions be beneficial to people with Parkinson’s disease?
- In what settings can interprofessional practice for Parkinson’s occur? How can SLPs who are in private practice participate in an interprofessional practice model?
- How do we determine priorities? OT, PT, Speech – 1, 2, or all 3?
Enter our sweepstakes for a chance to win an LSVT training package including one LSVT LOUD and one LSVT BIG Training and Certification Course. One for you – one to share with an interprofessional colleague. Click the sweepstakes box on this page to enter to win.
This free event is open to all ASHA members, physical and occupational therapy professionals, and students (it is not offered for CEUs).
- Cynthia M. Fox, PhD, CCC-SLP, CEO and Co-Founder, LSVT Global
- Laura Guse, MPT, Chief Clinical Officer LSVT BIG, LSVT Global
- Julia Wood, MOT, OTR/L, OT at Dan Aaron Parkinson's Rehabilitation Center
Videos are displayed on behalf of ASHA's Live Chat sponsors. ASHA does not endorse or recommend programs, products, or services from external sources.