Certification Standards for Speech-Language Pathology Frequently Asked Questions: Implementation Date and Degree/Accreditation Requirement

The 2014 Standards for Certification are now in effect. Questions on applying for the CCC-SLP? Consult the frequently asked questions for more information.

2014 SLP Certification Standards

Implementation Date

When did the 2014 standards go into effect?

Applications were accepted beginning September 1, 2013; however, the 2014 standards went into full effect September 1, 2014.

I received my degree a number of years ago. Must I apply under the 2014 standards?

Yes, the 2014 standards are the only certification standards currently in effect. If you wish to pursue initial certification in speech-language pathology you must apply under these standards and meet all current knowledge and skill requirements.

Degree/Accreditation Requirement

What is the degree requirement for ASHA certification in speech-language pathology?

Individuals applying for certification in speech-language pathology must have been awarded a master's, doctoral, or other recognized post-baccalaureate degree.

In order for me to become certified, does my program need to be accredited, and by whom?

All graduate level academic course work and clinical practicum submitted for ASHA certification must have been initiated and completed in a program that holds accreditation, or a program admitted to candidacy, by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA). You can find a list of CAA accredited programs by using EdFind, ASHA's academic search engine.

What verification is required to prove that I have been awarded a graduate degree?

Applicants must submit either an official graduate transcript verifying the date the degree was awarded (may arrive directly from institution), or a letter from the registrar verifying completion of requirements for the degree. Verification must be received at the National Office within 1 year of submission of the application for certification. If a letter from the registrar is submitted and for any reason your application must be reviewed by the Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC), an official transcript will be required. Verification of the graduate degree must be received before certification can be awarded an applicant. Internationally educated applicants must submit an original evaluated transcript.

Can the official transcripts be submitted via e-mail?

If your university allows, an official, secured transcript may be sent via e-mail from the university to certification@asha.org.

ASHA Corporate Partners