Certification Standards for Speech-Language Pathology Frequently Asked Questions: General Information

The 2014 Standards for Certification are now in effect. Questions on applying for the CCC-SLP? Consult the frequently asked questions for more information.

2014 SLP Certification Standards

When did the 2014 certification standards go into effect?

The 2014 certification standards were effective September 1, 2014. A Practice and Curriculum Analysis of the Profession of Speech-Language Pathology was conducted in 2009 under the auspices of the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) and the Council for Clinical Certification (CFCC). The survey analysis was reviewed by the CFCC, and new certification standards were developed to better fit current practice models. View the SLP Standards Crosswalk [PDF] for more specific information.

Will I be required to take the statistics course in graduate school to meet the 2014 certification standards?

No. It would be acceptable to take the statistics course during your undergraduate OR graduate academic course work, and it can be taken online. The course must be a stand-alone course, open to the general college or university population, and cover general statistics principles; a course specifically designed for communication sciences and disorders students is not acceptable.

What are the major differences between the 2005 and 2014 certification standards?

The major differences between the 2005 and 2014 certification standards are:

2005 SLP Certification Standards 2014 SLP Certification Standards
Standard III-A: The applicant must have prerequisite knowledge of the biological sciences, physical sciences, mathematics, and the social/behavioral sciences. Standard IV-A: The applicant must have demonstrated knowledge of the biological sciences, physical sciences, statistics, and the social/behavioral sciences.
Course work in math could include, among others, statistics and non-remedial mathematics. Statistics will now be required. (Note: Statistics was previously a generic mathematics requirement.) Research methodology courses in communication sciences and disorders (CSD) may not be used to satisfy the statistics requirement. The statistics course must be a stand-alone course and open to all members of the college/university population.
Appropriate course work in biological sciences could include, among others, biology, general anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, and genetics.
  • Acceptable courses in biological sciences should emphasize a content area related to human or animal sciences (e.g., biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science).
  • Courses in biological and physical sciences specifically related to communication sciences and disorders (CSD) may not be applied for certification purposes to this category unless the course fulfills a university requirement in one of these areas.
Course work in physical sciences could include, among others, physics and chemistry. Acceptable courses in physical sciences should (a) include physics or chemistry, (b) emphasize the principles of physics or chemistry, and (c) provide the student with knowledge applicable to the provision of services in the speech-language pathology field.
Course work in behavioral sciences could include, among others, psychology, sociology, and cultural anthropology. Acceptable courses in social/behavioral sciences should include psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health.


When can I apply for ASHA certification in speech-language pathology?

Individuals seeking ASHA certification in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) must have a master’s degree from a university accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA). Once academic and practicum requirements have been met, prospective applicants may apply any time before, during, or after the completion of the Clinical Fellowship (CF) experience. Consult the SLP Certification Handbook [PDF] for more information.

What is the best time for me to apply for ASHA certification?

Please review ASHA’s Gift to the Grad (GTTG) Program to explore your options.

What is the difference between ASHA certification and state licensure?

Licensure is designed to protect the public from harm. Certification is the public’s assurance that an individual has voluntarily met rigorous, peer-developed and reviewed standards endorsed by a national professional body.

Do I need to apply for ASHA certification?

The Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) is a credential that offers many benefits. Holding the CCC is voluntary; it is your decision whether or not to apply.

What is the difference between "certification with ASHA membership" and "certification without ASHA membership" for new applicants?

In section 2 of the application for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP), you have the option of applying for either the "CCC-SLP with ASHA membership" or the "CCC-SLP without ASHA membership." If you choose certification with membership, you may be eligible for either the NSSLHA-to-ASHA conversion discount, a recent graduate discount, or the Gift to the Graduate program. If you choose certification without membership, you are not eligible for ASHA’s Gift to the Graduate program and will not be able to enjoy the benefits of ASHA membership.

There are different addresses listed on the certification application and the CF Report and Rating Form. Which address should I mail my documents to?

If you are sending your application and payment and additional required documents (i.e., transcripts, CF forms), please mail to:

PO Box 1160 #313
Rockville, MD 20849

If you are sending only additional required documents, please mail to:

2200 Research Blvd. #313
Rockville, MD 20850

Once I have submitted all of my paperwork, can I begin working without supervision?

No. Submission of paperwork does not mean that you are certified. Until you receive notification from the National Office that certification has been awarded

  • you may not present yourself as holding the CCC-SLP
  • you may not represent that you are certified by ASHA
  • you may not act in any manner that signifies ASHA certification
  • the hours students spend under your supervision will not count towards their ASHA certification requirements

After I apply for certification, how much time do I have to complete the certification process?

Applicants have 2 years from the initiation of the certification process to begin their clinical fellowship and 4 years to complete the experience. Your certification status will remain "in process" during this period of time until certification is awarded.

How do I make sure that I receive all important communications from ASHA about my certification?

Help ASHA keep our records current by updating your account with any changes to your name, address or e-mail address. This will help ensure that you receive important information regarding your certification status, maintenance interval, and annual invoices for dues/fees.

How will I be informed that I have been awarded certification?

You will receive notification via e-mail and regular mail. Your mailed information will contain:

  1. a letter of congratulations on your newly received certification
  2. a letter verifying your certification that can be shown to your employer
  3. a Certificate Order Form to order your copy of the Certificate of Clinical Competence

When will I receive the actual Certificate of Clinical Competence?

If you wish to receive a printed Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC), you will need to complete the Certificate Order Form included in the packet of information mailed to you after you are awarded certification (see above question). The order form must be returned to the National Office within 1 year of the date you were awarded certification in order to receive your certificate at no charge; additional certificates are available for a fee. Please allow 3 weeks after submission of your order form to receive the certificate.

Will ASHA notify my state licensure board/regulatory agency once I am certified?

ASHA only sends verification of certification upon request. If you need a verification letter once you have been awarded the CCC, use the online Certification Verification system to download and print an official ASHA verification letter. You may also contact the Action Center at 800-498-2071 to have a letter prepared and sent directly to the professional agency you designate.

If I have more questions or need help, is there anyone I can talk with?

Yes, there is assistance available. You can contact the Action Center at 800-498-2071 if you have general questions about the certification process. For specific information regarding your file, please contact your certification manager who has access to the materials you have submitted. The phone number for your certification manager also appears within the information you receive after submitting your application for certification.

ASHA Corporate Partners