About S.T.E.P. 1:1 Mentoring Program
What is S.T.E.P.?
Student to Empowered Professional (S.T.E.P.) is an online mentoring program where mentees and mentors communicate to address a short- or long-term goal via e-mail, Skype, phone, text, or Facebook. Mentees and mentors have the option of making arrangements to meet face-to-face; however, face-to-face mentoring isn't a component of the S.T.E.P. program.
- Connects self-motivated students with experienced mentors in meaningful, one-to-one mentoring relationships
- Supports mentoring relationships through guided learning experiences
- Provides online resources for all students and mentors seeking tools, information, and inspiration
- Facilitates the continued recruitment and retention of racial/ethnic minority students
The mentoring matches are based on common professional interests. We do our best to match each student with a mentor who is either working in the setting the student wants to pursue or is a clinician treating the population the student is interested in working with. We may also match students based on their career goals. We use many factors to make the best possible matches, however we are not able to match based on geographic location.
Who is S.T.E.P. for?
- Students currently enrolled in a communication sciences and disorders program
- All students are eligible to apply, however preference will be given to those students from racial/ethnic backgrounds who have been historically underrepresented in the communication sciences and disorders professions.
Examples of such goals include:
- Learning about variables to consider when selecting a graduate school from someone who has been through the process
- Determining which population or setting to pursue as a career
- Developing a connection with an individual outside of the student's university program
- Determining a long-term goal and plotting the path to achieve it
What are the benefits of S.T.E.P. 1:1?
- A mentor chosen specifically for you
- Mentoring with a professional audiologist or speech-language pathologist who has experience in the area of interest you are considering and/or can help you with career-related goals
- Full access to the ASHA S.T.E.P. Mentoring Community to discuss issues and trends important to S.T.E.P. mentees and mentors**
- Monday Connection conversation starters
- Program materials
Note: **The mentee must be a national NSSLHA member to have full access to the ASHA S.T.E.P. Community.