Giving Effective Feedback-A Two-Way Street
Mentors: It is important to be able to give your mentee feedback on how
the relationship is progressing.
Mentees: It is also important for you to know how to receive feedback
well, as this is the way you will grow and learn.
Few people are able to give feedback well; most people give
primarily negative or primarily positive feedback. It is also
difficult for many people to receive feedback. When they receive
positive feedback, they are embarrassed and discredit it. When
they receive negative feedback, most become defensive.
Good feedback is a gift. It is hard for anybody to improve
without it. If we do not understand our strengths and
developmental needs, it is hard to know how to develop and
Effective Feedback Is...
- given for a good reason
- specific and descriptive
- about behavior that can be changed
- given at appropriate time (usually right after observation
but in appropriate setting)
- open to discussion
- a balance of positive and negative
How to Provide Effective Feedback
- Do not attempt to give feedback until you have established
the correct climate: a strong, trusting relationship.
- Explain that the purpose of feedback is to share
perceptions of what is currently working, not working, and to
try to improve and learn.
- Give feedback only after using good listening skills to
understand the other's perspective.
of Excellent Mentors
Dealing with Possible