Starting Your Relationship-A Mentee's Point of View
It is normal to feel a little nervous when you are meeting
your mentor for the first time. The following are some
suggestions for your first meeting, be it face-to-face, on the
phone, or online:
- Jot down a few discussion ideas before your first meeting.
Keep adding to your list as you better understand what you can
gain from your mentor.
- Share something about your personal background and
interests, such as how you got interested in a particular
field/major, where you are from, and life balance issues.
- Demonstrate interest in your mentor's career. A few
questions you might want to ask are
- Why are you interested in mentoring?
- How did you choose your college/field?
- What do you consider your greatest strengths?
- Agree on ground rules about how often you will communicate,
how quickly you will be able to respond, and what level of
confidentiality is expected.
- Complete the
Setting the Ground
- Set up a date for your next meeting or phone call.
Mentoring Success |
Relationship-A Mentor's Point of View