Research Mentoring-Pair Travel Award
The Research Mentoring-Pair Travel Award Program (RMPTA) is given in conjunction with the Research Symposium, a day-long event held at the annual ASHA Convention. The award is designed to foster the professional development of students and emerging scientists who have expressed an interest in, or are pursuing, research careers in communication sciences and disorders.
Emerging scientists identify a more experienced investigator and invite that individual to apply with them as a mentor-protégé pair.
Awarded pairs will receive ASHA Convention registration fee waivers and a $1,000 stipend ($750 to the protégé and $250 to the mentor). The pairs engage in activities before, during, and after Convention
View previous RMPTA recipients.
A protégé and mentor apply as a pair and must attend the Symposium together. The Symposium takes place all day Saturday at Convention.
- student at the master's, clinical doctorate, or PhD level at the time of Convention, or
- postdoctoral fellow, or
- junior level faculty member (less than six years teaching/research experience in a tenure-track position or below the level of associate professor)
- experienced investigator affiliated with an academic or clinical research environment
- can be affiliated with the protégés university or based elsewhere
Preference will be given to investigators whose area of research is related to the topic of the Symposium.
The award includes responsibilities before, during, and after Convention.
- Register for the ASHA Convention using a registration fee waiver issued upon acceptance
- Read articles identified by the presenters about their Symposium topics and work with your mentor to develop questions to ask during the question and answer period of the Symposium.
- Attend the Research Symposium with your mentor all day Saturday, November 19, 2016, from 8:00 a.m. to approximately 9:00 p.m., including awardee lunch and dinner networking events with the Symposium speakers.
- Ask at least one question during the Symposium
- Work with your mentor during February to review a Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research manuscript based on one or two of the Symposium presentations.
How to Apply
The RMPTA application period opens in May and closes in July.
Protégés must complete an online application form, upload several PDF documents, and submit the entire application by the established deadline. See the RMPTA Application Instructions and FAQs for details, including the deadline and Symposium date.
Still have questions? Contact ASHA's Academic Affairs and Research Education team at [email protected].