Comprehensive Assessment of Foreign-Accented English
Explore the science behind accent modification services, and learn to create comprehensive evaluations of foreign-accented speech in adults (15 years and older) who are learning English as a second language. This program presents current research and provides an overview of the elements needed for a thorough assessment, including professional terminology. Interact with content through audio case studies and self-assessment activities.
You will be able to:
- list variables that shape an accent and those that influence listeners’ perception of an accent
- explain key areas of assessment for foreign-accented speakers, including intelligibility, rate of speech, speech production, speech perception, and language
- describe elements of effective assessment of the speech of foreign-accented speakers
What is an eWorkshop?
An ASHA eWorkshop is an interactive, slide- and video-based workshop you can watch at your leisure.
To complete this program, you will need the following plugins:
- Adobe Flash Player
- Adobe Reader
And one of the following browsers:
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later, Netscape 7.x, Firefox 1.x or later, or Opera 7.11
- Mac OS X: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.2, Netscape 7.x, Mozilla 1.x, Opera 6, or Safari 1.0 (Mac OS 10.2x or later only)
- Linux: Konqueror 3.3.1, Mozilla 1.7.3, Firefox 1.x