Student Volunteer Information
Don't Miss the Fun!
ASHA uses student volunteers to assist in various roles during the ASHA Convention.
Student volunteer assignments include activities such as monitoring session rooms; disseminating information at registration, information, and materials pickup stations; crowd and line management; providing support in the speaker ready room and print-on-demand stations; helping during special events such as the ASHA Awards Ceremony; tracking traffic in the Exhibit Hall; collecting tickets; providing defined assistance for attendees with special needs, and more.
As a student volunteer you will have the opportunity to meet and network with your peers and ASHA members. For your service, you'll receive a full refund for the NSSLHA/ASHA Grad Student Member registration fee (following Convention) and a special ASHA volunteer t-shirt to wear and keep.
- Candidates must be full-time undergraduate or graduate students.
- Students must be available and able to work a 10–12 hour shift (one full day) during the 2017 ASHA Convention in Los Angeles, as scheduled.
- Students must attend one orientation meeting prior to their work assignment (this meeting will depend on the student's scheduled work day). Orientation sessions will be held on Wednesday, November 8, and Thursday, November 9. Students should be outgoing, conscientious and willing to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment. Some jobs require spending extended periods of time on your feet.
- Students should be confident, flexible, and professional.
- If accepted, students must register for the Convention and work as scheduled. Student volunteers will be reimbursed for the NSSLHA/ASHA Grad Student Member registration rate. Credit card refunds will be issued to student volunteers in 2–4 weeks following the Convention.
If you are accepted as a student volunteer, you will need to register for the ASHA Convention. To receive a full refund of your Convention registration at the
NSSLHA/ASHA Grad Student Member rate, you must be a
National NSSLHA member. NSSLHA members receive a reduced registration fee for the ASHA Convention. If you are not yet a National NSSLHA member, you may apply for membership by completing the
NSSLHA application before
registering for the ASHA Convention. ASHA's Convention registration and housing reservation service for the 2017 Convention in Los Angeles will open August 1.
Student Volunteers Receive
- Credit card refunds for the NSSLHA/ASHA Grad Student Member registration rate (in 2–4 weeks following the Convention, upon completion of work assignment).
- A special ASHA volunteer t-shirt to wear and keep.
- Access to sessions that you monitor during your working period.
- The opportunity to meet and network with your peers and ASHA members.
Note: Although the cost of your registration is refunded post-Convention for your work, you are responsible for any travel and lodging needed to participate in in the ASHA Convention. Be sure to take these costs into account when you apply to be a student volunteer.
How to Apply
Complete and submit the online application to be a student volunteer. The deadline to apply is September 7, 2017. Notifications of selection or non-selection for
volunteer positions will be e-mailed by October 4, 2017, to all applicants.
firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about volunteering.