Reinstatement of the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology
Reinstatement of the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A) may be available to eligible individuals after ASHA certification has been dropped, resigned, retired, or revoked.
Who is Eligible to Apply for Reinstatement of the CCC-A?
- An individual whose ASHA certification was dropped for failing to comply with certification maintenance standards
- An individual who decides to return to practice after resigning his/her ASHA certification
- An individual who decides to return to practice after retiring his/her ASHA certification
- An individual whose ASHA certification was revoked by the Board of Ethics, but who has petitioned and received approval to reinstate from the Board of Ethics, as well as met all the Board's reinstatement conditions or requirements
Reinstatement Policies and Procedures
Individuals seeking reinstatement of the CCC-A must:
- Provide an official transcript confirming the receipt of a doctoral degree;
- Provide evidence of professional development activities that are within the Scope of Practice in Audiology and earned no more than 3 years prior to submitting the application for reinstatement;
- Provide confirmation of receipt of a passing score on the Praxis examination in Audiology via official notification from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) that was achieved no more than 5 years prior to application for reinstatement;
- Submit a reinstatement application;
- Pay a reinstatement fee.
Reinstatement Application Instructions
Individuals seeking reinstatement of the CCC-A must complete and submit all of the following items:
- Reinstatement application form [PDF] containing the original signatures of the applicant and a colleague holding a current CCC-A. The colleague does not have to supervise the applicant, but should be someone who has familiarity with the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities, and is not related to the applicant in any manner.
- Official transcript confirming the receipt of a doctoral degree.
- Evidence of professional development activities based on the number of years certification was dropped or revoked (i.e., 1 year=10 hours of professional development; 2 years=20 hours; 3 or more years=30 hours).
- Paid CE Registry users (within the last 1–3 years) may not be required to provide additional evidence; however, documentation is required for hours other than ASHA CEUs.
- Documentation must include the title of the course/activity, name of sponsoring organization or college/university, date(s) of attendance/completion, and hours earned.
- Official notification from ETS of receipt of a passing Praxis Audiology exam score that was achieved no more than 5 years prior to application for reinstatement.
- Reinstatement fee
- $375 for CCC-A and ASHA membership
- $349 for CCC-A without ASHA membership
Please do not apply until you can 1) meet all the policies and procedures for reinstatement and 2) submit all the required items above. Incomplete application materials will not be processed; applicants will be notified of the deficiency and given 90 days to complete and resubmit the appropriate application materials.
Professional Development for Reinstatement
- Acceptable activities must have been completed no more than 3 years prior to submission of the reinstatement application form.
- Activities must address the provision of clinical services specific to the Scope of Practice in Audiology.
- Courses and activities that are in related areas, are general in nature, or are not related specifically to the practice of audiology will not be accepted.
Once received at the National Office, please allow 4–6 weeks, and sometimes as long as 6–8 weeks or more during very busy periods, for the review of your completed reinstatement application and all additional required documentation. Certification cannot be reinstated until we have verified that all reinstatement requirements have been met.
Maintenance of Certification
Once certification has been granted, all certificate holders must be aware that maintenance of certification is accomplished through abiding by the ASHA Code of Ethics, annual payment of ASHA dues and/or the annual certification fee, and accrual of 30 hours of professional development during each 3-year maintenance interval.
Contact the Action Center at 800-498-2071 with any questions about applying for reinstatement or e-mail email@example.com.