CEA Tutorial Section 1: Overview of ASHA CE
This section provides a short introduction to ASHA and ASHA Continuing Education (CE).
What is ASHA?
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) is the national professional, scientific, and credentialing association representing 188,000 members and affiliates who are audiologists; speech-language pathologists; speech, language, and hearing scientists; audiology and speech-language pathology support personnel; and students.
What is the ASHA CE Program?
The ASHA CE Program:
- Approves Providers who offer CE courses
- Assists Providers in planning and offering courses for ASHA CEUs
- Registers Providers' courses
- Awards ASHA CEUs
- Recognizes CE participation with the ACE (Award for Continuing Education)
Who can offer courses for ASHA CEUs?
Only those organizations, such as yours, that have been approved by the Continuing Education Board (CEB) may offer courses for ASHA CEUs. These organizations are designated as ASHA Approved CE Providers. Currently, there are more than 540 such organizations.
ASHA's CEB approves organizations to offer ASHA CEUs based on the information provided in the ASHA Approved CE Provider application. Providers are required to report to ASHA CE within 30 days any organization, name, or ownership changes and/or changes in the role and responsibilities of the CE unit. There is a change of organization form that can be used for this purpose.
You can promote your organization's status as an ASHA Approved CE Provider with the Insignia image. See these guidelines on how to acquire an Insignia image and use it properly [PDF].
Please note that your organization, as an ASHA CE Provider, does not award ASHA CEUs. The CEB awards ASHA CEUs upon receipt of the Course/Offering Report Form and Participant Forms from you.
What course content is appropriate for ASHA CEUs?
Only courses, or sessions within courses, related to one or more of the following:
- Sciences as they pertain to speech-language pathology
- Sciences as they pertain to audiology
- Speech/language/hearing sciences
- Contemporary practice of speech-language pathology
- Contemporary practice of audiology
What is the ASHA CE Registry?
The ASHA CE Registry is the only service that tracks ASHA CEUs. ASHA CEUs earned are recorded on a transcript that lists all of the continuing education courses the participant has taken through ASHA's network of Approved Continuing Education Providers.
The ASHA CE Registry functions much like a college registrar. In addition to maintaining a permanent, cumulative record of courses and ASHA CEUs, the Registry issues official transcripts upon request. The CE Registry is open to ASHA/NSSLHA members, those who are ASHA certified, and other eligible individuals.
Who is eligible to use the CE Registry?
Effective July 1, 2011, in order to be eligible to earn ASHA CEUs, the participant must meet at least one of the following conditions:
- be an ASHA member (includes Life Member and International Affiliate categories),
- hold the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC),
- be licensed by a state or provincial regulatory agency to practice speech-language pathology or audiology,
- be credentialed by a state regulatory agency to practice speech-language pathology or audiology,
- be credentialed by a national regulatory agency to practice speech-language pathology or audiology,
- be engaged in a clinical fellowship under the supervision of an individual who holds the ASHA CCC, or
- be currently enrolled in a master's or doctoral program in speech-language pathology or audiology
Who can earn ASHA CEUs?
ASHA CEUs are awarded only to eligible participants who are members of the CE Registry and pay the annual CE Registry fee. (The annual fee is $25 for members and $35 for nonmembers.)
What is the Continuing Education Board (CEB)?
- sets and enforces policies and procedures for ASHA CE;
- approves Providers;
- awards ASHA CEUs;
- comprises nine ASHA members who volunteer to serve 3-year terms.
What are the requirements of the CEB for ASHA Approved CE Providers?
Initial provider approval was based on your organization's agreement to meet and maintain the CE Provider Approval Requirements [PDF] developed by the ASHA CE Board. It is your responsibility as the CE Administrator to meet these required practices and follow the policies and procedures that are described in the CEB Manual. Please see the roles and responsibilities of a CE Administrator (CEA) and CE Content Consultant outlined in the CEA job description [PDF] and Consultant job description [PDF]. A request to change the personnel assigned as CE Administrator or CE Content Consultant should be sent in writing to ASHA CE as soon as possible to maintain continuity and continue your active status as a CE Provider. ASHA provides an online form for you to use to notify us. If contact information for you, the CE Content Consultant or Supervisor/Alternate Contact changes, please use the CE Provider Contact Information Change Form to notify us.
Who are my contacts at ASHA CE?
You have been assigned a provider manager and an account manager who are your contacts at ASHA CE. They will work closely with you to ensure that communications are timely and accurate and that all of your questions are answered. You are the sole contact person for your organization.
CEA Carmen asks: How will ASHA CE communicate with me?
Policies and procedures evolve over time. We have set up several ways to communicate any changes, clarifications, or new information:
- CE Provider section of the ASHA website: a one-stop shop for forms, procedures, and resources
- Intersections: an electronic newsletter published quarterly and e-mailed directly to you
- E-mail: messages with time-sensitive information: course registration confirmations, rosters of course completion information
- Mailings: important documents that require signatures
- CE Provider Community site: a CE Provider-only forum where you can ask questions of fellow CE Administrators and Consultants—posts are automatically e-mailed to you from ASHA
- CE Provider Facebook page: "like" us to receive our Facebook posts
[Provider Only Home Page | Previous Tutorial Section | Quizzes | Next Tutorial Section | [email protected]]