American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

South Carolina Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The following information summarizes the requirements currently necessary to begin work in the public school system as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist.

The information below has been collected by researching individual state department of education regulations and policy documents, state administrative code provisions, and by contacting each state department of education. Please be advised that regulations and policy may change at any time, so always check with your state department of education for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the state Department of Education. State licensure is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Speech-Language Therapist

  1. Master's degree
  2. Completion of an advanced program approved by the state Board of Education for the training of speech language therapists
  3. Minimum qualifying score on the state Board of Education required examination.

Internship Certificate for Speech-Language Pathology

The Internship Certificate is issued to an individual who holds the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) in Speech-Language Pathology or who has competed a master's degree that includes the academic and clinical requirements for the ASHA CCC and has achieved the minimum qualifying score on the required certification examination(s). This certificate is effective for one academic year and must be requested by the employing school district. It may be converted to a professional certificate upon verification of a successful evaluation of the individual's performance during the initial year of employment.

Continuing Education Requirement

120 renewal credits are required every five years


The information contained herein was collected and summarized annually. For detailed information on teacher certification requirements, contact the state department of education and visit these websites:

Educator Certification

Certification Manual [PDF]

State Board of Education Regulations


Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

Share This Page

Print This Page