Resources for Clinical Education—Audiology
Texts for Clinical Supervision in Communication Disorders
Several classic texts are available that overview philosophical and practical aspects of supervision in speech-language pathology and audiology. The reference lists within these texts capture the state of the supervision literature at the time of their publication and serve as a valuable resource for supervisors who wish to consult data-based research, access practical tools, solve clinical problems, and observe the evolution of clinical supervision perspectives within the discipline over time.
- Self-Supervision: A Career Tool for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists. Authors: P. L. Casey, K. J. Smith, & S. R. Ulrich. Publication Date: 1988. Publisher: National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association. ISBN: 0887-6584.
- Supervision in Communication Disorders. Authors: S. S. Farmer & J. L. Farmer. Publication Date: 1989. Publisher: Merrill. ISBN: 0675209633.
- Supervision in Human Communication Disorders: Perspectives on a Process. Authors: M. B. Crago & M. Pickering. Publication Date: 1987. Publisher: Taylor & Frances Books. ISBN: 0850666759.
- Supervision: Strategies for Successful Outcomes and Productivity. Author: S. Dowling. Publication Date: 2000. Publisher: Allyn & Bacon. ISBN: 0205315070.
- The Supervisory Process in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. Author: J. Anderson. Publication Date: 1988. Publisher: College-Hill Press. ISBN: 0316039594.
General Clinical Supervision
While not specific to the disciplines of audiology and speech-language pathology, these reference texts from related disciplines nonetheless provide valuable philosophical and practical perspectives on clinical supervision. The diverse views on the nature of clinical supervision will help you assess your own framework for your own supervision principles and practices.
- Clinical Supervision: A Handbook for Practitioners. Authors: M. Fall & J. Sutton. Publication Date: 2003. Publisher: Allyn & Bacon. ISBN: 0205408516.
- Clinical Supervision in the Helping Professions: A Practical Guide. Authors: R. Haynes, G. Corey, & P. Moulton. Publication Date: 2002. Publisher: Wadsworth. ISBN: 0534563139.
- Clinical Supervision Made Easy: The 3-Step Method. Author: E. Van Ooijen. Publication Date: 2003. Publisher: Churchill Livingstone. ISBN: 0443072426.
- Clinical Supervision: What to do and How to Do It. Author: R. I. Cohen: Publication Date: 2003. Publisher: Wadsworth. ISBN: 0534630278.
- Essentials of Clinical Supervision. Author: J. M. Campbell. Publication Date: 2005. Publisher: Wiley. ISBN: 0471233048.
- Fundamental Themes in Clinical Supervision. Editors: J. R. Cutcliffe, T. Butterworth, & B. Proctor. Publication Date: 2001. Publisher: Routledge. ISBN: 0415228875.
- Fundamentals of Clinical Supervision (3rd Ed.). Authors: J. M. Bernard, R. K. Goodyear, & J. M. Bernard. Publication Date: 2003. Publisher: Allyn & Bacon. ISBN: 0205388736.
ASHA Special Interest Group 11, Administration and Supervision
Special Interest Group 11 resources can be of value to supervisors. In particular, the publication of the SIG introduces readers to current issues in supervision, as well as to practical solutions and resources.
ASHA Standards for Supervision
Effective supervision starts with an awareness of the ethical bases of clinical practice, as well as of the competencies and expectations for supervisors. These documents, available via the ASHA web site, articulate this information.
Standards and Implementations for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology Council For Clinical Certification, ASHA, effective January 1, 2012.