You do not have JavaScript Enabled on this browser. Please enable it in order to use the full functionality of our website.

CAA Reporting in the HES Frequently Asked Questions: Entering Data




Praxis Pass Rates


I just spent a long time entering data into the system, and it appears that the system has "kicked me out" and lost my data! What happened?

The HES is a secure web portal that is set to "time out" after 30 minutes if left inactive; this is a standard setting to protect the system. To avoid losing your data, make sure to save your data frequently. When the session times out, you will need to log on to access the system again; if you saved data prior to that time-out, the entered data will not be lost.

If you are composing lengthy narrative responses, we recommend that you draft those responses in a Microsoft Word (or other word processing software) document and then copy and paste that text into the related text box in the system. This will help you avoid the frustration of timing out and will allow you to verify the character count of your response before posting. Remember that text responses are limited to either 2,500 or 5,000 characters for 5-line text boxes and 10-line text boxes, respectively. Responses that exceed the limits will be cut off in the online system.

Can I copy and paste information into the text fields?

Yes. You can copy and paste text by using the drop-down file menu or the shortcut keystrokes (copy= Ctrl+C; paste= Ctrl+V). The HES does not allow the user to copy and paste by right-clicking over a text box.


How do I update faculty information?

If this is the first time your program has submitted its report in the HES, the Faculty Reporting list under Section 2.1 is blank. By selecting the "Add/Edit/Remove Faculty" button, you will be taken to a separate section where you are prompted to update the Total Faculty List. The Total Faculty List should represent all faculty currently hired and making contributions to the accredited program. Faculty members who have permanently left the program should be removed from the list. To update this list, you must add or remove faculty and then select which faculty will be reported in the current CAA report as contributing to the program. Detailed information for each faculty member will then be reported via the unique form for each individual on the list. Detailed instructions are embedded in the HELP feature of the CAA reports in the HES.

It is important to remember that if you are reporting for both audiology and speech-language pathology programs, you will need to complete faculty lists separately for each report. Make sure that the faculty reported for each program are contributing FTE to that professional area's program.

I need to provide information on a new faculty member to the CAA in my report. How do I add faculty to the Total Faculty List?

You can add new faculty to your Total Faculty List by using the "Add Faculty" feature. To add faculty, first conduct an active search of the ASHA member database—using the individual's ASHA member number—to locate his or her record. Using the ASHA number will ensure you locate the appropriate record and avoid creating duplicate records that lack essential information for CAA reporting.

When I reviewed my Faculty Summary table and Individual Faculty detail (i.e., vitae), I noticed that a new faculty member's CCC status did not populate, and I cannot enter that data because the field is not data entry enabled. How do I report a faculty member's CCC status?

It is likely that when adding this individual to your Total Faculty List, you did not use his or her ASHA member number to search the database for the specific record. As a result, you may have inadvertently created a duplicate record that does not contain the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) status for this individual. Because an individual's certification status is managed and updated only by ASHA's Certification Unit, this information may not be updated to a duplicate record. In order to correct this problem, you will need to remove the faculty member from your Total Faculty List and search the ASHA database using the faculty member's ASHA number. Locate and add the correct faculty record containing the CCC status for that individual.

When completing the educational background section for some of my faculty, I am not able to find the institution from which one member obtained her degree. How do I report this information when the data field is "grayed out"?

Next to the field for the name of the institution of higher education, there is a "button" with an ellipsis (...). By clicking on this button, you can search data tables that contain institution names. This list is maintained and updated by ASHA and is based on a list of institutions provided by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). If the institution is located in the United States, it is very likely included in the search tables; however, some international institutions are not included. A request to add the institution can be made by providing the current name of the institution and its location in an e-mail to

To conduct a successful search, you should search only by location to broaden your results. Search results may be sorted alphabetically. Searching by name may result in limited success unless you have entered the name of the institution exactly as it appears in the search tables. In addition, some institutions change their names over time and no longer match the name listed on a faculty member's vita; searching by location of the campus should help resolve this issue.

How do I report faculty FTE breakouts in my CAA report?

The CAA defines full-time equivalent (FTE) as the amount of faculty workload that is distributed across all categories (classroom teaching, supervision, advising, administration, etc.) in contribution to the accredited graduate program. The program should provide FTE for all faculty members (part-time, full-time, adjunct) who are employed by the institution and are contributing to the accredited program. This includes faculty who are members of departments other than the department in which the program resides. When providing FTE percentages, use the institution’s formula for assigning classroom teaching and estimate the remaining percentages so that the total contribution to the accredited graduate program represents the portion of time attributed to the accredited graduate education program. For example, when a faculty member holds a full-time appointment with the institution and contributes to the accredited graduate program and another program (i.e., undergraduate CSD program) only the percentage of time contributed to the accredited graduate program should be reported to the CAA. This will result in an FTE that is less than 100%. The program should ensure that the method used to determine faculty contribution and FTE per credit hour is applied consistently for all faculty.


What is the difference between the two descriptors presented in the course detail screen: "Terms offered" and "Term in which this course or clinical experience is expected or typically offered"?

When completing the question that prompts you to provide the "terms offered," you should select all terms in which the course was offered in the last 2 years (for speech-language pathology) or the last 4 years (for audiology). This information is compiled into the Course Summary PDF file, which represents the frequency of course offerings. You will notice that the response matrix for this question allows you to select multiple terms to present every time the course is offered within the specified period of time.

When completing the question that prompts you to provide the "term in which this course or clinical experience is expected or typically offered," you should select the one term in which this course is offered in the program of study. This information is compiled into the Course Sequence PDF file, which represents the sequence in which the course is offered in the program of study. You will notice that the response option for this question only allows one selection to be made.

How do I assign "new" faculty to a course reported in the Course List?

The information you are providing should be based on the "most recently completed academic year." Thus, new faculty hired after the most recently completed academic year ends are not reported until the next academic year. Individuals identified as teaching courses should be employed in the same academic year in which you are reporting. For example, if you are completing a report to be submitted in February 2013, the most recently completed academic year is July 2011–August 2012. Faculty members who taught courses during the July 2011–August 2012 academic year should be assigned to courses reported in the Course List.

Praxis Pass Rates

Do I report data for students who took the PRAXIS exam twice?

Programs are required to report results only once for graduates who took the Praxis exam multiple times in a single examination reporting period. Note that graduates who may have taken the exam in the first year of your reporting period and retook the exam in the second reporting year should be reported in both years.

For which students am I reporting PRAXIS pass rates?

Programs should report results on recent graduates of the program (i.e., within the past 3 years) who take the Praxis exam within the referenced period/test cycle (comparable to an academic year). You can use ETS data from the Institutional Summary Report to identify individuals who took the exam in a particular reporting year/cycle. However, you also should compare ETS data to your own data within the past 3 years. You should not report data for students currently enrolled in the program or individuals who graduated from the program more than 3 years ago. Programs also should develop a mechanism for tracking, documenting, and reporting on their graduates’ performance on the Praxis examination.


Visit the FAQs main page for more information on General Information, Access, Confirmation Files and Printing, and Documenting Compliance.

ASHA Corporate Partners