Developing a Strategic Plan for a Program in Communication
Sciences and Disorders
Steps to Develop a Strategic Plan
Following are the steps necessary to develop a strategic plan.
The materials that follow provide guidance in completing each
step necessary to develop the strategic plan.
- Conduct a SWOT analysis to determine the strengths and
weaknesses of the program.
- Develop a Vision statement.
- Develop a Mission statement.
- Develop an Envisioned Future scenario.
- Identify Focus Areas of concern.
- Write an Issue Statement for each Focus Area.
- Identify extant Baseline Data for each issue. If none are
available, decide if there is a need to collect Baseline
- Write an Outcome Statement related to the identified
- Write an Indicator of Success statement that reflects a
change in performance from the Baseline Data.
- Develop Strategies that will be implemented to accomplish
the desired Outcome. The Strategy should be an activity that
will reduce the gap between the Baseline Data and the Indicator
- Pull all of the components of the strategic plan together
using the Strategic Plan Template to prepare the final