International Frequently Asked Questions

Are you a U.S. citizen who would like to work in a foreign country or a citizen of another country who would like to work in the U.S.? You may find the answers to your questions on this page.

Does ASHA evaluate the credentials of individuals educated in foreign countries?

No. Individuals who have been educated outside the United States who wish to pursue ASHA certification must have their credentials evaluated by an independent foreign credential evaluation service.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact and pay the evaluating agency for its services.

What is the ASHA certification process for individuals who have been educated outside the United States?

Documentation From Evaluating Agency

Individuals educated outside the United States who wish to apply for the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) need to submit their transcripts to a foreign credential evaluating agency that can provide them with:

  • A statement indicating what their foreign degree is equivalent to in the U.S. (since ASHA requires a master's degree for certification, the statement must indicate that the individual has, at a minimum, the equivalent of a U.S. master's degree)
  • A course-by-course evaluation in U.S. semester hours
  • Specific notation as to those courses completed at the graduate level

If the agency determines and provides documentation that the individual has the equivalent to at least a U.S. master's degree, the individual is eligible to apply for ASHA certification.

Application and Review Process—Speech-Language Pathology

If seeking certification in speech-language pathology (CCC-SLP), the applicant must have the director of his/her graduate educational program complete the Application for Speech-Language Pathology Certification in its entirety.

Upon receipt of the completed application, documentation from the credential evaluating agency, transcripts, and fees, the National Office, on behalf of the Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC), reviews the application to ensure that each knowledge and skill area is checked off as having been met.

The ASHA National Office also reviews the material from the evaluating agency to ensure that the applicant has completed a course in each of the following areas - biological science, physical science, mathematics, and behavioral/social sciences as mandated by the current certification standards. It may be necessary for the applicant to submit descriptions for courses completed to provide additional information for a decision to be made regarding the acceptability of specific courses.

The CFCC does not give the authority to any other agency to determine whether or not an individual has met ASHA certification requirements. It does, however, rely on information from the third-party evaluating agency in determining level of degree, semester credit hours received, and which courses can be considered to have been completed at the graduate level.

Application and Review Process—Audiology

Applicants seeking certification in audiology (CCC-A) follow the same procedure as described above except their application would be under the current audiology standards and the National Office, again on behalf of the CFCC, determines whether or not the individual had sufficient course work and practicum to meet current audiology standards. The application must still be signed by an official of the educational program.

Applicant Responsibility

Throughout this application and review process, it is the responsibility of the applicant to contact and pay the evaluating agency for its services and to provide any clarifying documentation (e.g., course descriptions, syllabi) that may be required by the CFCC to complete its evaluation.

Are the professions of audiology and speech-language pathology included on the list of professions whose members may work in the U.S. on the Trade NAFTA (TN) visa?

No, audiology and speech-language pathology are not included on the list of professions included under NAFTA.

Recent changes in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security visa approval regulations require certain health-care professionals, including audiologists and speech-language pathologists, go through a more comprehensive than normal visa approval process. Affected individuals seeking or holding Trade NAFTA (TN) visas will no longer be automatically granted initial or continued TN status.

For a description of the process, visit the Commision on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools Web site. This process can take several months and has removed from affected professions most of the benefits that NAFTA provide.

Does ASHA certification qualify certificate holders to work in countries outside the United States?

No. ASHA's Certificates of Clinical Competence, the CCCs, are the United States' most widely recognized symbols of excellence for speech-language pathology and audiology professionals. Holding the CCC-A or CCC-SLP credential demonstrates that the individual has achieved a level of excellence in the profession. Learn more about the benefits of ASHA certification.

The Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) mutually recognizes the certification programs in speech-language pathology conducted by the six signatories to the agreement:

The Agreement expedites the certification review process of individuals wishing to work in the signatory countries. Read the MRA frequently asked questions for more information.

What do U.S. citizens need to do in order to work in another country?

A U.S. citizen who wishes to work in a country in which he/she is not a citizen must meet that country's visa, work permit, education, licensing, and regulatory requirements. Please contact the embassy or consulate of the country in which you wish to work for additional information.

Note: The following commercial Web sites may be helpful (inclusion of these Web sites does not imply endorsement): Embassies, visas, and work permits.

ASHA's Web site has information about finding positions with U.S agencies (e.g., uniformed services, Federal Government, or school systems) in other countries.

A list of speech-language pathology and audiology associations in other countries may provide useful information.

If you are interested in working in a country within the European Union, please contact the Comité Permanent de Liaison des Orthophonistes / Logopèdes de l'Union Européenne (CPLOL). CPLOL is the Standing Liaison Committee of Speech and Language Therapists / Logopedists in the European Union

Will ASHA certification qualify citizens from other countries to work in the United States?

ASHA certification alone is not a permit to work, but it can serve as the basis for applying for state licensure, a requirement for working in a given state.

Individuals seeking to work in the U.S. should contact the state regulatory agency/state licensing board in the state(s) in which they wish to be employed.

In most cases, a letter from ASHA verifying certification status is sufficient to allow these individuals to meet state licensing requirements. However, some states require additional documentation (e.g., copies of exam results, Clinical Fellowship documents, etc.).

Note: ASHA does not provide copies of documents submitted for certification to licensing agencies so individuals applying for state licensure should make copies of such materials prior to submitting originals to ASHA.

ASHA Corporate Partners