EBP Compendium: Summary of Clinical Practice Guideline
Commission for the Early Detection of Hypoacusis (CODEPEH), Spain
Early Hearing Detection and Intervention: 2010 CODEPEH Recommendation
Trinidad-Ramos, G., de Aguilar, V. A., et al.
Acta Otorrinolaringologica Espanola, 61(1), 69-77.
AGREE Rating: Recommended with Provisos
This guideline provides recommendations for early hearing detection and intervention (EHDI) programs. The target audience of this guideline is audiologists and speech-language pathologists. Recommendations are provided in the areas of screening, audiological evaluation, intervention and surveillance.
- Assessment/Screening Areas
- Hearing Screening
- Separate protocols are recommended for screening of babies in NICU and Maternity Wards.
- If a rescreening is needed, infants should be evaluated bilaterally regardless of whether infant failed screening in one or both ears.
- Children with auditory risk factors such as hyperbilirubinemia should receive repeat screening if readmitted in first month of life. These children should also be monitored and reassessed before age 24-30 months.
- Hearing Evaluation
- At least one ABR test should be completed to confirm permanent hearing loss in children under 3 years of age.
- Children with audiological risk factors should be re-evaluated at 24-30 months of age.
- Assessment/Screening Instruments
- Infants in NICU for > 5 days "should mandatorily be explored with ABR to prevent a diagnostic error of neural hearing losses (p. 71).
- "NICU infants who do not pass the AABR test should be referred directly to ENT for reassessment, including ABR and TEOAE, if these were not performed in the screening phase" (p. 71).
- "Speech therapy should be initiated early. Without this, early diagnosis is sterile and prosthetic adaptation is insufficient (p. 72).
- "Early intervention services (speech therapy and hearing aids) must be provided by staff with appropriate qualifications and sufficient experience in infant hearing loss" (p. 73).
Keywords: Hearing Loss; Early Hearing Detection and Intervention
Access the Guideline
Added to Compendium: November 2011