Language and Literacy in Preschool Children: Continuing Education Credit
What are ASHA CEUs, and who is eligible to earn them?
ASHA CEUs are awarded through the ASHA CE Registry to speech-language pathologists, audiologists, or speech/language/hearing scientists. Eligible persons must join the ASHA CE Registry to receive ASHA CEUs. For information about the Registry, go to ASHA's Continuing Education.
Joining the Registry is optional. If you are eligible to earn ASHA CEUs, but choose not to join the Registry, you may track your own professional development hours (PDHs).
What are PDHs, and who is eligible to receive them?
Professional development hours (PDHs) are a unit of measure for continuing education activities for people who either are not eligible to earn ASHA CEUs, or choose not to join the CE Registry. Related professionals, SLP and audiology assistants, and others may receive PDHs.
PDHs from this conference apply toward ASHA certification maintenance. You should check with other authorities (such as state license boards or departments of education) to see if they recognize PDHs.
What conference activities count for continuing education credit?
- Recorded sessions—you may view them any time that fits your schedule during the conference dates. There are 15 recorded sessions totaling 17.5 hours of content.
- Live chats—you must be online for the entire hour of a live chat to claim it for credit. You do not need to post, but you must be online. There are 13 scheduled live chats totaling 13 hours of content. Credit is not awarded for participating in discussion threads or reading chat transcripts.
How are my CEUs/PDHs tracked?
You will report your completed sessions and chats using an online reporting system. You must report all your activities by the end of the conference (11:59 p.m. Eastern time, Monday, October 31).
The system tracks the cumulative time for all the recorded sessions and live chats you complete. This determines the number of ASHA CEUs/PDHs you receive.
The 15 recorded sessions total 17.5 hours of content.
The 13 scheduled live chats total 13 hours of content.
So, the maximum number of credits you can receive is 30.5 professional development hours (3.05 ASHA CEUs).
How are CEUs/PDHs calculated?
- One ASHA CEU equals ten hours of instruction.
- One PDH equals one hour of instruction.
- Both ASHA CEUs and PDHs are rounded down to the nearest half hour. So, for example, if you complete eleven recorded sessions totaling 12 hours, 35 minutes, and four live chats totaling four hours, you would receive 16.5 PDHs, or 1.65 ASHA CEUs.
What is the deadline for reporting my continuing education activities for this conference?
11:59 p.m. Eastern time, Monday, October 31.
Will I have access to conference material after the conference ends?
You'll continue to have access to recorded sessions, chat transcripts, and discussion boards for two weeks after the conference ends. This archive period, extending through November 14, is for reference purposes only. No continuing education credit may be earned after October 31.
Change of plans? No problem! Your written notice of cancellation will be accepted for a full refund of registration fees if received on or before October 12, 2011. E-mail email@example.com with the subject line, "Language & Literacy 2011 Cancellation," or mail ASHA Professional Development, Attn: Language & Literacy 2011 Cancellation, 2200 Research Boulevard #335, Rockville, MD, 20850-3289.
Cancellations received after October 12, 2011, will be refunded less a $50 processing fee, and no CEUs may be earned for the conference. Cancellations will not be accepted after October 19, 2011.