Getting Employer Support to Attend Convention
The three days of the ASHA Convention are the most cost-effective professional development and educational opportunity for members in the professions all year. Attendees will experience a full year of benefits in the form of new and greater knowledge that can be directly applied to their work.
We have drafted a brief sample letter of support [PDF] to assist you with gaining support from your employer. Feel free to customize the letter however you would like; organize your thoughts to make a clear and strong business case to demonstrate why your attendance is an investment in not only your professional development but an asset to your organization. The following are some points to consider when drafting your letter:
- What are the most important issues or plans facing my organization right now?
- What role do I play in dealing with these issues or reaching the plan goals?
- What sessions can I attend and what networking opportunities can I be part of that support my role and contribution to our organization?
Tips on Getting Employer Support
- Discuss the knowledge you will gain from attending and how it will benefit your work, organization, colleagues and clients.
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q & A session to your colleagues to share what you learn, so others in your work setting can benefit from your attendance.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the Convention.
- If your employer will be assisting with your expenses, provide an outline of cost estimates for registration, airfare, hotel, meals and transportation.
- Use the online scheduling tool to create an itinerary of all the sessions you plan to attend, including backups, and share it with your employer.
- Make a list of exhibitors you plan to visit whose products and services would be an asset to your work and organization. Share any informational material or samples from exhibitors you receive with your colleagues.
- Share the onsite program book and Web site for speaker handouts with your colleagues.
- Offer to share a room to reduce hotel expenses.
- Register for the Convention and book your transportation as early as possible to secure the best rates.