Posting Date: 1/15/2014
Cluster/Team: Professional Education Cluster/ASHA Professional Development Team
Coach: ASHA Professional Development Director
Salary Range (Non-Negotiable): $64,181–$71,312
FLSA Exemption Status: Exempt
DescriptionThe purpose of this position is to ensure editorial excellence, sophistication, timeliness, accuracy, and consistency in all materials developed by ASHA Professional Development (APD) and to increase non-dues revenue by skillfully curating content for APD journal courses and other products. The incumbent edits and formats materials for publication and exercises final review and approval for materials, including webpages, course materials, and promotional materials. The incumbent develops original ideas for, and produces, APD journal courses and self-studies (both electronic and print) and collaborates with Publication staff to identify and aggregate relevant content for inclusion.
- Provide editorial review and oversight of all APD content in all communication venues, including the ASHA Learning Center, APD webpages, and print materials associated with webinars, eWorkshops, journal multimedia courses, conferences, and other formats.
- Work with subject matter experts and other key stakeholders to create enduring self-study programs in various media, with an emphasis on production of new journal self-study products. Create, format, edit, and deliver final course and collateral materials for sale and distribution.
- Collaborate with Marketing Team to devise and implement targeted marketing strategies for APD products.
- Serve as Web Liaison for APD webpages on the ASHA website.
- Participate in renewal process for self-studies; respond to peer review input and revise print materials.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, or related field
- 3 years of experience in formatting and editing technical and educational materials, preferably in an instructional setting
- Experience working with subject-matter experts as a content editor
- Experience editing complex content with an eye to readability and a sensitivity to nuances of meaning
- Experience writing and editing exams to ensure they are educationally sound
- Experience writing promotional copy
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated technical editing/writing and proofreading expertise
- Demonstrated skill in page layout and design using MS Word/PageMaker
- Demonstrated skill using other publications-related applications, including MS Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of webpage design, demonstrated by experience in working with at least one webpage authoring tool or Web content management system
- Demonstrated understanding of writing copy for search engine optimization (SEO)
- Demonstrated understanding of basic copyright law as it applies to educational materials
- Demonstrated skill in developing, writing, and editing exams
- Demonstrated understanding of principles of marketing and promotion
- Demonstrated understanding of effective project management strategies and tactics
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Excellent writing skills (writing sample required)
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills for persuasion, negotiation, and problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and think innovatively
- Demonstrated ability to create written pieces that are succinct, interesting, and engaging
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to organize written materials for ease of comprehension and use
- Demonstrated ability to plan schedules, resources, and equipment to meet future requirements
Find out how to apply. Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EOE/minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans with disabilities and Vietnam veterans are encouraged to apply.