Course Content Disclosure (Required Practice 3.1)
What Must Be Disclosed?
What: Must disclose when the course content is focused on a specific product or service and will not include information on similar or like products/services (see 3.1.b)
Who: ASHA Approved CE Provider
When: Prior to the course
How: State in all promotional efforts that the course content is focused on a specific product or service and there will be limited or no information provided about similar products or services.
Required Practice 3.1
3.1 The Provider must ensure that CE course content and the presentation focus on the science and/or contemporary practice of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. Attempts to persuade organizations and individuals involved in planning, implementing, or evaluating the course to favor, recommend, purchase, use, or promote a particular product, equipment, device, or service are not permitted. Likewise, attempts to persuade learners of the same are not permitted in courses offered for ASHA CEUs.
3.1.a The Provider must ensure that the sale or promotion of products or services are not the focus of CE course content and related materials.
Product and service promotion should not influence the following decisions:
- Identification of learning needs;
- Determination of learner outcomes;
- Selection and presentation of content;
- Selection of all persons and organizations that will be in a position to control the content of the course;
- Selection of educational methods;
- Assessment of learning outcomes;
- Evaluation of the course;
- Selection of facilities.
3.1.b Providers who offer courses about products or services or jointly plan courses with an organization that has products or services:
- Must provide information in a scholarly manner regarding (1) theoretical aspects related to the product or service and/or (2) the details of operation.
- Must disclose prior to the course that there will be limited or no information provided about similar products or services when a course is focused on a specific product or service. Conversely, when a specific product or service is not presented, the use of trade or product names from several companies will be considered.
Course Content Disclosure
The ASHA Approved CE Providers must disclose in promotional efforts when a course to be offered for ASHA CEUs is focused on a specific product or service and there will no or limited information about similar products or services.
Below is sample language that your organization may use as a template or modify to suit your needs.
Sample Disclosure Statement
The <organization> has developed and patented a licensed technology trademarked as the <insert name of product or service>. Because there are no other like-kind products available, course offerings will only cover information that pertains to the effective and safe use of the above-named products.
This presentation will focus exclusively on <insert name of product or service> and will not include information other similar or related <insert product or service>.