Eligibility to Earn ASHA CEUs
Who is eligible to earn ASHA CEUs?
Effective July 1, 2011, individuals must meet at least one of the following conditions in order to be eligible to earn ASHA CEUs.
- ASHA Member (includes Life member and International affiliates)
- ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) Holder
- Licensed by a state or provincial regulatory agency to practice speech-language pathology (SLP) or audiology
- Credentialed by a state regulatory agency to practice SLP or audiology
- Credentialed by a national regulatory agency to practice SLP or audiology
- A Clinical Fellow supervised by someone with their ASHA CCC
- Currently enrolled in a masters or doctoral program in SLP or audiology
What does the ASHA CE Registry do to determine eligibility?
If we receive an ASHA CEU Participant form for an attendee who is not in our database as an "eligible" Registry user, we will ask them to provide documentation of eligibility prior to awarding ASHA CEUs.
If I'm not eligible to earn ASHA CEUs, can I attend courses offered by ASHA Approved CE Providers?
Each ASHA Approved CE Provider sets the pre-requisites for their course. If you meet the pre-requisites to attend the course, you can attend but you would not be able to earn ASHA CEUs. Unless you meet the eligibility requirements to earn ASHA CEUs, do not turn in an ASHA CEU Participant form at the course or indicate that you wish to earn ASHA CEUs if taking a distance learning course.
If I earned ASHA CEUs prior to 7/1/2011 but I'm no longer eligible to earn ASHA CEUs, what happens to the CEUs I earned?
ASHA CEUs earned prior to 7/1/2011 will be retained on the ASHA CE Registry transcript. If you become eligible in the future to earn ASHA CEUs, contact the ASHA CE Registry for information about confirming eligibility.
If I have never earned ASHA CEUs, how do I establish eligibility?
If you are an ASHA member or ASHA CCC holder, we will have you in our database and you are eligible to earn ASHA CEUs. Just fill out the ASHA CEU Participant form at the course and the ASHA Approved CE Provider will forward that to the CE Registry. We will establish a record for you and begin to add ASHA CEUs to your CE Registry transcript as you earn them. If you are not an ASHA member or CCC holder but you meet any one of the other criteria, complete the ASHA CEU Participant form at the course. You can inform us of your eligibility by
completing the form on the ASHA CE website or when the CE Registry receives your form, the CE staff will contact you via e-mail to obtain eligibility documentation.
Can ASHA Associates earn ASHA CEUs?
ASHA Associates who meet the eligibility requirements may earn ASHA CEUs.
Can students earn ASHA CEUs?
Students currently enrolled in a graduate or doctoral degree program in SLP or audiology can earn ASHA CEUs. Let us know now that you are eligible to earn ASHA CEUs:
- Complete this
Eligibility to Earn ASHA CEUs form.
- Or, when the Provider submits your completed ASHA CEU Participant form from the course, the ASHA CE Registry will send you an e-mail requesting that you provide your eligibility information (university name, degree name, and expected graduation date).
Can I earn ASHA CEUs after I graduate?
If you meet at least one of the eligibility criteria after you graduate, you can earn ASHA CEUs. If you become an ASHA member or CCC holder, you automatically qualify to earn ASHA CEUs. Otherwise, if you meet at least one of the
eligibility criteria [PDF], you will qualify. At your first course after graduating, submit the ASHA CEU Participant form. The CE Registry staff will contact you if you need to provide