Buds in the Schools Week Concerts
ASHA, in collaboration with The Parents' Choice Foundation, Recording Industry Association of America, National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts, NAfMe: The National Association for Music Education, Bongiovi Accoustics, Consumer Electronics Association, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, one of the National Institutes of Health, Cailfone International, Tune-A-Fish Records and Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) offers an educational concert series that promotes safe listening of personal audio technology.
Safe Listening Concert in New York City
On May 4, 2012, the Buds burst on the scene in Manhattan with two concerts at P.S. 003 Charrette School. Well-known Buds Coalition Musician Oran Etkin underscored the importance of practicing safe listening using an interactive performance style.
Buds Week in San Diego
The Buds stepped out in grand style while visiting San Diego during ASHA's 2011 Convention week. The campaign entered six local schools November 14-16 sharing the message with more than 1000 enthusiastic San Diego Unified School District students. Mayor Jerry Sanders issued an official proclamation of Buds in the Schools Week and campaign information was shared with schools throughout the district. Buds Coalition musicians Moona Luna and Oran Etkin provided the music and message to teach young students about the importance of safe listening practices.
- ASHA cosponsored the USO San Diego's 20th Annual Holiday Concert at historic Balboa Theater. Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band joined the U.S. Marine Band to entertain an audience filled with U.S. Service members and their families. 2011 ASHA President Paul Rao took the stage and reminded the nearly 1400 attendees to heed the Buds' message and keep the volume down.
- Buds in the Schools Week, November 14–20, 2010, in Philadelphia, was a huge success. ASHA's members in the city schools pitched in to get the Buds' safe listening message out to students and educators. The week, officially designated by Mayor Michael Nutter, included musical performances by members of the Buds' Musician's Coalition in six city schools. Buds related lesson plans, coloring pages and school announcements were disseminated throughout the school district.
- Grammy Award winners Cathy & Marcy and Hip-Hop sensation Christylez Bacon headlined morning concerts at the first ever "Buds in the Schools Week," May 23–29, 2010 in Washington, DC area elementary schools. Nationally acclaimed for his highly interactive "funky folk music for the whole family," Billy Jonas performed in the afternoons.
- New Orleans native Charmaine Neville of the legendary musical family entertained and educated students during "Buds" concerts at four New Orleans elementary schools on November 18 and 19, 2009.
- Award-winning performer Linda Severt headlined a "Buds" concert and several in school performances in Glendale, CA in September 2009. A unique family entertainer, songwriter, and musician, Severt weaved music, circus arts, puppetry, and ASHA's hearing safety message together for a fun-filled and educational experience for the children.
- Billy Jonas's singalongs, bangalongs, and whisperalongs were enjoyed by more than 1,000 children from Washington, DC, Metro area schools at a "Buds" concert on April 29, 2009.
- Four-time Parents' Choice Gold Award winner Justin Roberts, a key player in the world of hip kids music, performed at the inaugural "Buds" concert at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry in November 2008.