Hawaii Licensing Requirements for Hearing Aid Dispensers

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of hearing aid dispensers. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

  • educational requirement:
    • a photostatic or certified copy of a diploma or certificate of graduation from high school;
    • a certified photostatic copy of a transcript of high school record;
    • in the absence of (a) and (b), a statement from the Department of Education certifying that the equivalent of a high school education has been completed; or
    • in lieu of (a), (b), and (c), a photostatic or certified copy of a diploma or certificate of graduation from a college or university accredited by a regional or national accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education.
    • have passed a written and practical exam


Whenever the director of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs determines that another state or jurisdiction has a program with requirements equivalent to or higher than those in effect in the state to fit and sell hearing aids, the director may issue licenses by endorsement to applicants who hold current, unsuspended, and unrevoked certificates or licenses to fit and sell hearing aids in another state or jurisdiction.

Interim Practice

A temporary permit to engage in the business of dealing and fitting of hearing aids under the direct supervision of a licensed hearing aid dealer and fitting may be issued to applicants who have met the requirements for licensure but have not yet taken the examination. A temporary permit to qualified applicants shall be good for one year. In the event the holder of a temporary permit has not passed the examination within one year from the date of issuance, the executive secretary may reissue the temporary permit once upon written request and payment of the required fee.

Continuing Education

There are no requirements for continuing education in the law/regulations.

Audiologist Dispensing

Audiologists must obtain a Hearing Aid Dealers and Fitters license in order to dispense.

Trial Period

A hearing aid trial period is not addressed in the law/regulations.

Mail Order/Internet Sales

Mail order dispensing and Internet sales are not addressed in the law/regulations.

Board Oversight

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners