Private Practice Essentials: A Practical Guide for Speech-Language Pathologists
Available in spiral-bound and as an eBook.
Whether you are a speech-language pathologist new to private practice or have an established practice and want to hone your skills, Private Practice Essentials gives you the business know-how you need to reach your goals.
Janet E. Brown and Denise Dougherty bring together a wealth of information to provide step-by-step guidance and business advice on starting a new venture — from creating your business plan, establishing your business and finding a premises, through finance and insurance, ethics and compliance, to marketing, branding and even expansion. Throughout, real-life scenarios, case studies, and lessons from successful business owners guide you along the way and help you avoid costly mistakes.
Private Practice Essentials provides:
Praise for Private Practice Essentials: A Practical Guide for Speech-Language Pathologists
- Information to help you decide whether becoming a business owner is the right step
- Guidance on writing a business plan
- Clear guidelines on when to bring in outside expertise
- An extensive chapter on financial management, including setting fees
- The pros and cons of accepting insurance, and how it works
- A detailed section on selecting practice management technology
- Practical ideas to market and promote your practice
- Advice on recruiting and managing staff
- A wide selection of policies and commonly used forms for you to adapt and use in your practice
“The most comprehensive book I have ever read on this subject . . . . It is mandatory for anyone thinking about starting or in the early stages of a private practice. The appendices alone are worth their weight in gold, truly timesavers for all of us.” -Eileen M. Devaney, MS, CC-SLP
“An excellent, comprehensive guide for speech pathologists. This publication provides practical, realistic advice and examples that will benefit those who are considering private practice as well as those who are already in private practice. Thank you for compiling this valuable resource!” -Mindy Newhouse, MS, CCC-SLP
“Denise and Janet have done a fantastic job of looking at all aspects of private practice, and I commend them for their diligence and dedication to our profession.” -Claudia H. Ellis, MA, CCC-SLP
Our PDF e-book is supported on the following devices:
- Android phones & tablets
- e-readers with Adobe Digital Editions installed
Within 2 business days of ordering, you will receive an e-mail from ASHA with a secure link to download the e-book. Depending on the device you are using, you can then add the book to your e-reader app, usually by clicking on the top right corner of the PDF. You may also choose to use or download Adobe Digital Editions to view the book. This can be downloaded here for free.