Medicaid in Education Settings: What Every SLP Needs to Know
How do you fit a square peg in a round hole? Sometimes that’s the dilemma that the school-based SLP faces when adhering to Medicaid requirements. During this program, you’ll receive an overview of the federal requirements for Medicaid, including provider qualifications, the “under the direction of” rule, medical necessity, and covered services. You’ll also learn how Medicaid funding works at the federal, state, and local levels, and the differences between Medicaid and IDEA requirements. Billing, documentation, ethical, and reimbursement issues will be discussed, and a summary of the Office of Inspector General audits of state Medicaid plans will be shared. We’ll also highlight emerging trends, successful advocacy efforts, and tools you can use with decision makers.
You will be able to:
- describe the funding flow of Medicaid dollars from the federal to the local level
- define the federal documentation requirements
- identify the three most common mistakes noted in state Medicaid audits
- locate state-specific resources as they relate to practice and reimbursement
- define ASHA’s resources regarding scope of practice