Maine Support Personnel Requirements

The following information includes speech-language pathology and audiology support personnel requirements in educational and other practice settings. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that regulations and policy may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Speech-Language Pathology

School Setting Requirements

Educational Technicians

There are three levels of auxiliary personnel that are utilized in Maine public schools-each level with its own educational requirements and approved activities. Educational technicians provide supportive educational services to certified personnel in K–12 schools or to credentialed personnel in early childhood educational or developmental programs from birth to school age 5 for children with disabilities. Educational Technicians Level I are required to have a high school diploma/GED, Level II must have 60 credits of approved post-secondary education, and Level III must have 90 credits of approved post-secondary education.

Statutory and Regulatory Requirements

  • Speech-language pathology assistants must be registered by their supervising SLP in order to receive a speech-language pathology assistant license.

  • Assistants must have:

    • an associate degree from an accredited institution in a speech-language pathology assistant program and verification of completion of 95 hours of supervised practicum; or

    • An associate or bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in the field of communication disorders and verification of completion of 95 hours of supervised practicum. If the practicum hours were not completed as part of the academic program, then each supervising SLP must submit a letter with the application stating that the speech-language pathology assistant will receive 15 hours of observation and 40 hours of direct supervision while working with pediatric clients or 40 hours of direct supervision while working with adult clients prior to providing services to either population without direct supervision.

  • A supervising SLP must have a minimum of 2 year post graduate professional experience and complete at least 10 hours of approved training in the area of supervision if they register a speech-language pathology assistant and may supervise up to 2 full-time/40 hours per week supervisees, or 4 part-time/20 hours per week supervisees, provided that a supervisor may not supervise a total number of temporary licensees, trainee hearing aid dealers and fitters, speech-language pathology assistants and students in excess of the supervisor’s ability to competently supervise such persons and also perform any direct client services for which the supervisor is responsible.

  • Following the speech-language pathology assistant’s completion of the practicum hours, if applicable, the supervising licensed SLP shall determine the frequency and nature of the supervision required, direct or indirect, to be provided based on the clients’ required level of care and the speech-language pathology assistant’s caseload, experience and competency.

  • Supervision schedules must allow for this supervision to be proportionate to the caseload served by the assistant.

  • The supervising SLP must be on-site or accessible by telecommunications at all times when the speech-language pathology assistant is providing client care.

  • If an Assistant is providing direct services under supervision, the supervisor must inform in writing all clients, referring agencies and payers.


School Setting Requirements

No additional requirements.

Statutory and Regulatory Requirements

No additional requirements.


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathology and audiology support personnel in educational and other practice settings, please visit these websites:

To see where your state stands on support personnel licensure trends, please view the trends charts which are updated annually:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners