South Dakota Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the state Department of Education. State licensure issued by the Board of Hearing Aid Dispensers and Audiologists is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

State License

  • Possess a master's or doctoral degree in speech-language pathology or its equivalent from an educational institution accredited by the accrediting agency of ASHA and from an educational institution approved by the U.S. Department of Education;
  • Complete supervised clinical practicum experiences from an educational institution or its cooperating programs;
  • Complete a supervised postgraduate professional experience;
  • Pass a written national examination in speech-language pathology
  • The requirements will be waived for those applicants who present proof of current licensure in a state that has standards that are equivalent to or greater than South Dakota; or holds a current ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech Language Pathology.
  • Any person who holds a bachelor's degree in communication disorders or speech-language pathology and a speech-language pathologist certificate from the South Dakota Department of Education, and does not otherwise meet the requirements for state licensure will be granted a limited license to practice as a speech-language pathologist. Individuals with a limited license may provide speech-language services as employees of public or private school districts or state departments that provide educational services, but may not perform non-medical endoscopy, or evaluate or treat swallowing disorders.
  • A birth-to-age-21 school speech-language pathologist must possess a master's degree in speech-language pathology or its equivalent.

Continuing Education Requirement

All licensees must complete at least twenty contact hours or 2.0 units of continuing education for each two-year renewal period.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners