Oregon Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the State Department of Education. State licensure issued by the Oregon Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Effective July 1, 2016, speech-language pathologists are required to have a state license to practice in the schools.

  1. Possesses a master's degree or doctoral degree or equivalent from an educational institution accredited by an accrediting organization approved by the Board
  2. A clinical practicum of 400 clock hours
  3. Credit earned for a thesis or capstone project if part of the accredited graduate program
  4. Supervised clinical experience for not less than 1,260 hours; supervised by a Certificate of Clinical Competency holder
  5. Passage of the Praxis Exam in speech-language pathology
  6. Applicants whose first language is not English may be required to submit scores from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or Test of Spoken English (TSE) to demonstrate English language fluency.

Note: Notwithstanding the amendments to ORS 681.230 by section 1 of this 2015 Act, a teacher who is licensed by the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission and who holds a communications disorders or speech impaired endorsement issued by the commission may continue to practice speech-language pathology on and after July 1, 2016, without obtaining a license under ORS chapter 681 if the person:

  1. Was licensed and endorsed by the commission before July 1, 2016
  2. Practices speech-language pathology solely in the course and scope of the  person’s duties as an employee of an education service district, a school district, or a charter school
  3. Complies with ORS 681.360 to 681.375 and rules adopted under ORS 681.360 to 681.375 when supervising speech-language pathology assistants.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners