North Carolina Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Special Service Personnel Licensing

  1. One of the following:
    • Completion of an approved program in audiology at the master's level or above
    • Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA
    • A license from the North Carolina Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
  2. Passage of the NTE/Praxis in Audiology

Continuing Education Requirement

7.5 units of renewal credit every five years.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Special Service Personnel Licensing

State License

  1. Master's degree or equivalent
  2. Evidence of the completion of 75 semester hours constituting a well-integrated program of course study dealing with the normal aspects of human communication, development thereof, disorders thereof, and clinical techniques for evaluation and management of such disorders
  3. 400 clock hours of supervised direct clinical experience
  4. Nine months full-time supervised professional experience
  5. Passage of an examination

Continuing Education Requirement

Licensee must complete 30 hours every three years sponsored by ASHA, or the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction; or other courses approved by the Board as similar to courses offered by any of these organizations.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners