Michigan Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


State License

  1. Master's or doctoral degree in audiology from a regionally accredited college or university approved by the Audiology Board
  2. Completion of at least nine months of supervised clinical experience in audiology
  3. Successful completion of an examination in audiology
  4. Applicants with an AuD degree must submit an official transcript from an accredited educational institution approved by the Audiology Board
  5. If an applicant has held Certificate of Clinical Competence or American Board of Audiology certification up to September 1, 1995, then they are deemed to have met the education, clinical experience, and examination requirements

Continuing Education Requirement

Every licensed audiologist must complete, during the two-year period prior to the date of renewal of the license, at least 20 hours of continuing education in courses or programs approved by the Audiology Board.

Speech-Language Pathologist

State License

  1. Possess a master's or doctoral degree from an accredited educational program; and
  2. Have successfully completed a supervised 9 month postgraduate clinical experience in speech-language pathology; and
  3. Have passed an examination;
    a. Possesses current Certification of Clinical Competence in speech-language pathology (CCC-SLP) from ASHA or the Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA).
    b. If Education not taught in English, must pass the TOEFLibt examination administered by ETS.

Limited License for School-based Speech-Language Pathologists

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs may issue a limited license for a certified teacher whose teaching certificate was endorsed on January 12, 2009, in the area of speech and language impairment for the sole purpose of providing speech-language impairment services as part of employment or contract with a school district, nonpublic school, or state department that provides educational services.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners