Audiology/Hearing Science Research Travel Award (ARTA): Application Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Access the
online application system beginning March 15.
- Complete the online application form, upload all of the following materials as PDF* documents and submit the entire application package by 11:59 p.m. EDT, May 1.
- 500 word statement detailing
- The area(s) of research you would like to learn more about and why
- How the ARTA program and attending the ASHA Convention would be of benefit to your career goal
- The statement will be judged on the thoughtfulness, clarity, and organization of the response.
- Curriculum vitae/resume describing clinical and/or research activities
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member or research mentor (see details below)
firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to provide documents in PDF format.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can submit a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Your recommendation should come from a faculty member and/or mentor who is knowledgeable about your interest in research as a component of your career, and who can address how learning about research via ASHA's
ARTA program would benefit your future professional goals. The faculty member should provide the letter to you in PDF format for submission.
When speaking with the faculty member who will be writing the letter of recommendation, be sure to do the following:
- provide information about the ARTA program
- discuss your response to the ARTA statement
- describe the area(s) of research about which you would like to learn more about and why
- discuss how and why receiving the ARTA and attending the ASHA Convention would help advance your career goals
The person submitting a letter of recommendation on your behalf must hold a research doctoral degree (e.g., PhD) in audiology, hearing science, or a related discipline. They need not be employed at the same institution where you are enrolled nor need to hold a faculty appointment within a communication sciences and disorders (CSD) program.
What are the selection criteria?
The review panel will use the following criteria to rate each application:
- thoughtfulness of response to the research interest statement in the online application
- clarity of response
- organization of response
- résumé or curriculum vitae
- letter of recommendation
Note: Applicants will be reviewed within their degree category (e.g., AuD applicants will be reviewed alongside other AuD applicants).
When will I be notified of the outcome of the application review process?
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of the application review process by August of that same year.
When is the travel stipend distributed to award recipients?
The travel stipend (made payable to the award recipient) will be sent after awardees have fulfilled their Convention obligations, typically within 30 days following the Convention.
How do I receive the complimentary Convention registration?
To receive the complimentary
Convention registration, follow the detailed instructions that will be included in the award notification letter. Registration must be completed by the Early Bird deadline.
What sessions and events are recipients required to attend at the ASHA Convention?
Each award recipient will be required to attend the following pre-selected events and sessions from Wednesday through Saturday:
- PhD Information Sharing Session I(PhD Students only)
Wednesday, 5:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
A facilitated discussion to jump-start the Convention, where students will begin exploring how to maximize the PhD student education experience and prepare for a faculty-researcher career.
- Researcher–Academic Town Meeting
Wednesday evening, 6:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m.
The meeting will include a dinner, awards recognition, and presentations on a timely topic. A dessert networking reception will follow the meeting.
- ARTA Breakfast
Thursday, 6:45 a.m.–8:15 a.m.
The kick-off event for the ARTA experience! Meet and greet other award winners, the ASHA Board of Directors, and National Office staff. Be part of the breakfast group photo that is published in ASHA's annual magazine, Audiology Connections.
- Opening Session
Thursday, 8:30 a.m.–10:30 a.m.
This session is the official start of the Convention and includes the president's address, a keynote speaker, highlights of the events of the next 3 days, and entertainment for attendees.
- ASHFoundation Founders Breakfast
Friday, 6:45 a.m.–8:00 a.m.
Learn about funding opportunities for students and early career researchers, and join us in congratulating this year's awardees. Past ARTA awardees have gone on to receive ASHFoundation funding.
- Awards Ceremony
Friday, 6:30 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
This ceremony celebrates the highest achievement and excellence in the CSD professions, including the presentation of the Honors of the Association, ASHA Fellows, and Annie Glenn Award.
- PhD Information Sharing Session II and Luncheon
Saturday, Noon–1:30 p.m.
This session is an informal facilitated discussion and networking opportunity to further assist students with planning their education and faculty-researcher careers.
Other Convention opportunities include the following:
- Research Roundtables Lunchtime Session
Friday, 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. (lunch provided)
Researchers at all career stages will find topics of interest ranging from pursuing a PhD to securing research funding to conducting interdisciplinary research. Funded investigators and funding agency staff will the discussions on funding.
- NIDCD-Sponsored Research Symposium
All day Saturday, 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
The 2017 topic is "Advances in Autism Research: From Learning Mechanisms to Novel Interventions."
- Additional Convention Sessions of Interest
Be sure to attend the educational and scientific program sessions and posters.
- Networking Opportunities
- First Timers' Welcome Reception
- Opening Reception/AARE Research Education Programs networking Reception
- Audiology SIGnificant Luncheon
- Audiology Open House
- Closing Party
Where can I find specific information about the Convention?
Please refer to the ASHA
Convention website for more details.
Should you have additional questions, e-mail email@example.com.