Pathways Program Application Instructions
The Pathways Conference is scheduled for Monday, June 17 through Tuesday, June 18, 2019, at the ASHA National Office in Rockville, Maryland.
To apply, access the online application system during the application period.
Complete the online form, upload all of the following materials as PDF documents, and submit the entire application package by 11:59 p.m. EST, Saturday, December 1, 2018.
Page limits do not include references.
- Cover letter (limit 1 page, double-spaced, 12 pt. font, one-inch margins)
Describe the amount and depth of your research experience and future research career goals.
- Research interest statement (limit 3 pages excluding references, double-spaced, 12 pt. font, one-inch margins)
Describe your area of research, the need to further the science in that area, and the clinically relevant questions your program of research addresses or will address.
- Modified National Institutes of Health biosketch (limit 5 pages)
Follow the Modified NIH Biosketch Instructions and Sample [PDF]. It is based on the NIH Biosketch (non-fellowship), with the following modifications:
- sample is representative of an early-career stage researcher applying for a non-fellowship Research Grant (R series),
- personal statement justifies why you are well-suited to participate in Pathways, and
- includes sections that allow inclusion of additional publications and research funding submissions.
- Letter of recommendation and support*
- All letters must be on letterhead and signed.
- Student and postdoc applicants must provide a letter from the primary advisor that (1) describes the applicant's potential as a researcher and (2) states the advisor's support of participation in the program.
- Faculty applicants must provide a letter from the department chair (or equivalent) that (1) describes the applicant's promise as a researcher and (2) expresses commitment to supporting the applicant (e.g., via release time, access to research resources, and other means) to develop an independent, funded research program.
*To propose an alternative individual to write the letter of recommendation/support, please send a message (including rationale) to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to applying.