Event Idea Bank
Whether planning your next chapter meeting, or organizing a social or fundraising event, we've got some ideas for you. Check these out!
Consider the needs and interests of chapter members when planning your meetings:
- Host a "Great Debate" over a professional topic.
- Arrange demonstrations.
- Host a clinical exchange—students can share client experiences/methodologies.
- Put together a panel of recent graduates to talk about their real-world experiences.
Chapter Membership Recruitment and Retention
With Chapter Members
- Welcome-back parties at the beginning of each semester
- Homecoming activities
- Block seating at sporting events
- Faculty appreciation day
- Pot-luck breakfasts, lunches, or dinners
- Ropes courses
- Game nights
- Field trips to professional settings (NICU, rehab hospital, nursing home, etc.)
- Banquet honoring graduating seniors and/or graduate students
With Students in Allied Organizations
- Host mixers and socialize with students from allied organizations (physical therapy, occupational therapy, special education, etc.) on campus.
- Organize events with audiologists and speech-language pathologists within your community.
Raise funds to go toward chapter operations and/or donations needed for the
NSSLHA Loves campaign and the
ASHFoundation's NSSLHA Scholarship—requirements for
National NSSLHA Chapter Honors.
- Hold an auction.
- Arrange a raffle (solicit giveaway items from area merchants).
- Organize a talent show and charge admission.
Consider organizing service projects that will have a large impact on your local community!
- Client party for children who attend your clinic
- Talk-a-thon to benefit individuals with communication disorders
- Adult spelling bee to increase awareness of language disorders
- Read to children in libraries, pediatric clinics, and/or schools
- Organize support groups for individuals with communication disorders