National Joint Committee for the Communication Needs of Persons with Severe Disabilities (NJC)
The goal of this module is to increase awareness about the communication needs of people with severe disabilities.
Module 1: Beginning Communicators
This module highlights the many ways persons with severe disabilities may be communicating and to improve the ability of others to recognize, interpret, and respond to those communication efforts. This module is for families, practitioners, and students.
Provide your contact information and complete a short test at the end of the module to have a certificate of completion emailed to you.
- Brady, N. C., Bruce, S., Goldman, A., Erickson, K., Mineo, B., Ogletree, B. T., Paul, D., Romski, M., Sevcik, R., Siegel, E. Schoonover, J., Snell, M., Sylvester, L., & Wilkinson, K. (2016). Communication services and supports for individuals with severe disabilities: Guidance for assessment and intervention. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 121(2), 121–138.
- Snell, M. E., Brady, N., McLean, L., Ogletree, B. T., Siegel, E., Sylvester, L., Mineo, B., Paul, D., Romski, M. A., & Sevcik, R. (2010). Twenty Years of Communication Intervention Research With Individuals Who Have Severe Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 115(5), 364–380. View resources for this article.
- Assuring Access to Remote Services for Individuals with Severe Disabilites (ATiA 2021) [PDF, 9.1MB]
- Sevcik, R., Romski, M. A., Bruce, S., Barton-Hulsey, A., Erickson, K., Goldman, A., Mineo, B., Ogletree, B., & Paul, D. (2019, November). Myths that limit opportunities for adults with severe disabilities to use AAC. Poster presentation for the annual convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Orlando, FL.
- Meeting the Needs of Individuals With Severe Disabilities as Professional Partners (ATiA 2018) [PDF]
- Highlighting Occupational Therapy's Role on the National Joint Committee for Communication Needs of Persons With Severe Disabilities [PDF]
- Celebrating 30 Years of the NJC: Empowering Individuals with Severe Disabilities, Families, and Stakeholders [PDF]
- Debunking Myths About Augmentative and Alternative Communication and Adults with IDD [PDF]
- NJC Communication Bill of Rights Poster [PDF]
- Communication Services for Individuals with Severe Disabilities: FAQs and Discussion [PDF]
Symposium presented at the annual conference of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, November 2010
- Communication Services for Individuals with Severe Disabilities: Current "Best Practices" [PDF]
- Evidence-Based Communication Interventions for Persons with Severe Disabilities Poster [PDF] (2009)
Presented at the American Physical Therapy Association annual conference in June 2009
- Evidence-Based Communication Interventions for Persons with Severe Disabilities Handout [PDF]
- Resources for Teams Serving Individuals with Severe Disabilities [PDF]
Communication Interventions for Individuals with Severe Disabilities: Exploring Research Challenges and Opportunities (2016)
Volume Editors: Rose A. Sevcik, PhD, and MaryAnn Romski, PhD