Characteristics of Excellent Mentors
Think about the traits and the questions, so that you can
assess your own mentoring skills.
- Good listener/sounding board
- Able to give constructive feedback
- Honest and candid
- Able to network and find resources
- Successful in career
- Willing/able to devote time to developing others
- Eager to learn
Do a self-assessment and know what you are offering to your
mentee and what you expect of yourself.
- What are my strengths as a mentor?
- What are my challenges as a mentor?
- In what ways can I compensate for my mentoring weaknesses
(e.g., books, training, advice from good role model)?