In the Loop is a benefit for students with national membership in NSSLHA. As a NSSLHA member, you will receive the monthly NSSLHA news and updates right in your e-mail inbox.
If you are a NSSLHA member not receiving In the Loop in your e-mail inbox, send an e-mail with your name and NSSLHA membership number to firstname.lastname@example.org to subscribe.
Celebrate NSSLHA at Convention
Come and celebrate the 40th anniversary of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA) at the ASHA Convention.
Convention isn't just for seasoned professionals. Many students participate in general convention activities as well as programming specifically designed for them. Students are encouraged to attend introductory-level educational sessions and to visit with exhibitors in the Exhibit Hall for hands-on learning.
NSSLHA Activities at the 2012 ASHA Convention
This year's NSSLHA Activities, November 15–17, will feature a variety of student-oriented activities.
- Educational Sessions—Sessions will focus on navigating clinical fellowships and externships, practical knowledge about various practice settings, awards, mentoring, grant and scholarship opportunities, and clinical techniques.
- Luncheon and Awards Ceremony
- Battle of the Regions: NSSLHA Knowledge Bowl—Teams representing each of the NSSLHA regions will vie for prizes in a friendly competition based on Praxis-like questions.
- Résumé Star Program at the Career Fair—Professional recruiters provide a 15-minute résumé review.
- Graduate School Fair—Representatives from academic programs discuss master's and doctoral opportunities.
- NSSLHA Lounge @ the Graduate School Fair—Visit the NSSLHA lounge at convention to receive a commemorative button and a special convention issue of NSSLHA Now!, NSSLHA's newsletter. This issue includes a comprehensive guide of convention sessions and events specifically for students.
A new feature this year for undergraduate students is the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test preparation workshop sponsored by Kaplan Test Preparation. Graduate students will be able to register for the Praxis II® test preparation workshop sponsored by Educational Testing Services, Inc. (ETS).
The NSSLHA Convention page has complete information on:
- Becoming a NSSLHA member and saving significantly on convention registration fees.
- The NSSLHA activities schedule.
- Exhibitors participating in the Career Fair and the Graduate Student Fair.
- GRE and Praxis II® test workshops.
CAA Approves Revisions to Accreditation Standards, Effective January 2013
After careful review and consideration of all feedback received in response to the peer review comment period in Fall 2011, the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) voted to approve changes to the Standards for Accreditation of Graduate Education Programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology at its February 2012 meeting. All changes will become effective January 1, 2013.
The final version of the Standards, along with a side-by-side comparison reflecting the current language, the revised language, and a description of the changes, are available on the CAA's webpages.
Look for our next issue of In the Loop in July.
We hope you enjoyed this issue of In the Loop. Comments and suggestions can be directed to email@example.com. Submit your item for In the Loop by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org and reach over 10,000 students with your message.