In this webinar, you’ll get the information you need to protect your clients’ health information privacy while avoiding HIPAA sanctions in a reasonable, cost-effective, and efficient manner. You’ll learn how to determine whether you must comply with HIPAA; what must be in place to avoid sanctions, such as a risk analysis, written policies, reasonable and appropriate security measures, and proper procedures to prevent and handle breaches; and how to make a proper disclosure. Finally, we’ll explain enforcement efforts by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) regarding criminal convictions and fines as well as DHHS’s enforcement position.
You will be able to:
- determine whether you must comply with HIPAA
- describe how the Department of Health and Human Services and others enforce HIPAA
- identify the compliance issues that must be addressed to avoid civil and criminal penalties
- verify the privacy rights you must offer your patients
- make a proper disclosure of health information
Group Registration Note: A group registration entitles you to one Web or telephone connection to this program. Any number of people may listen and earn ASHA CEUs on that connection. The person who will act as site leader for the broadcast should register on behalf of the group. After registering, the site leader will be able to download seminar instructions, handouts, and CEU materials. The site leader needs to have, or create, a login to the ASHA Web site.
Replay available from September 26, 2013 through September 24, 2014.
Earn 0.2 CEUs (2 professional development hours).
View the Table of Contents [PDF]