Decision Making in Adult Dysphagia
It is easy for clinicians in busy medical environments to evaluate swallowing one time, and from one perspective. Sometimes this evaluation is a clinical exam. Sometimes it involves nasoendoscopy. Often the tool of choice is videofluoroscopy. Regardless, patients with multidimensional problems require more than one approach to assessment, and usually more than one profession. But inter- and intraprofessional agreement on swallow physiology and management can be a daunting challenge. This web workshop focuses on a series of case studies on swallowing problems that require more than meets the eye to understand their many dimensions.
This web workshop includes recorded lectures, interactive exercises, video clips, additional resources, and an exam.
You will be able to:
- identify key issues related to intra- and interjudge agreement for swallowing assessment
- choose appropriate measures from the various tools of our trade to gain a more global perspective on swallowing problems
- provide a supportive environment to the interdisciplinary team needed to provide optimum care for dysphagia patients
- choose appropriate management options for dysphagia patients, including referrals and follow-up
View the Table of Contents [PDF]
To complete this program, you will need the following plugins:
And one of the following browsers:
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later, Netscape 7.x, Firefox 1.x or later, or Opera 7.11
- Mac OS X: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.2, Netscape 7.x, Mozilla 1.x, Opera 6, or Safari 1.0 (Mac OS 10.2x or later only)
- Linux: Konqueror 3.3.1, Mozilla 1.7.3, Firefox 1.x