American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Employment Settings

Where Can You Work As a CSD Professional? Just About

Audiologists and speech-language pathologists work in a variety of settings. To learn more about specific employment settings, use the links below.


As an SLP employed in the schools, you may:

  • provide individual and small group services to infants, toddlers, preschoolers, school-age children, and adolescents
  • teach full-time in a special education classroom setting with students who have speech-language disorders
  • work with children with a wide range of disabilities, from mild or moderate to severe and/or multiple disorders
  • teach listening, speaking, reading, writing and learning strategies in a regular classroom
  • collaborate with other professionals and parents to facilitate a students' academic and social skills in an educational environment
  • provide speech-language services to a number of schools
  • conduct screenings and diagnostic evaluations
  • write reports and participate in annual review conferences
  • serve on program planning and teacher assistance teams
  • develop Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and Individualized Family Service Plans (IFSPs)
  • serve as a consultant to families and other educators
  • provide training to teachers and family members to enhance children's communication skills

Audiologists working in the schools may:

  • identify children with hearing loss
  • provide habilitation activities, auditory training, or speech reading
  • create and administer programs for the prevention of hearing loss
  • advocate for good classroom acoustics to aid in listening
  • develop and supervise a hearing screening program for preschool and school-age children
  • identify and evaluate children with hearing loss and assess their central auditory function
  • make recommendations and ensure proper fit and functioning of hearing aids, cochlear implants, group and classroom amplification, classroom acoustics and assistive and alerting devices
  • provide services in the areas of speechreading, listening, communication strategies, use and care of amplification, including cochlear implants, and self-management of hearing needs
  • serve as a member of the educational team in the evaluation, planning, and placement of students with hearing loss or other auditory disorders
  • provide in-service training on hearing and hearing loss and their implications for school personnel, children, and parents
  • educate parents, children, and school personnel about hearing loss prevention and classroom acoustics
  • collaborate with the school, parents, teachers, special support personnel, and community agencies and professionals to ensure delivery of appropriate services


Acute care, rehabilitation, and psychiatric hospitals may offer audiology, speech, and language services on an in/out patient basis. Hospitals may provide services for patients of all ages, while some—such as children's hospitals or hospitals for military or veteran personnel—may house specialized populations.

As an SLP, you may:

  • diagnose and treat a wide range of communication disorders
  • diagnose and treat swallowing problems
  • function as a member of a multidisciplinary treatment team
  • provide counseling to patients and their families
  • educate other health care staff about communication and swallowing disorders

As an audiologist , you may:

  • measure hearing ability of individuals of all ages, including infants
  • administer and interpret screening, assessment, and diagnostic procedures, such as air conduction, bone conduction, speech eudiometry, acoustic immittance (impedance) tests, evoked potential tests, and electronystagmography
  • identify the presence and severity of hearing loss
  • provide aural rehabilitation counseling about handling communication situations at home, work, and school to reduce the effects of hearing loss
  • assess the benefit of amplification devices, such as hearing aids
  • instruct individuals in the use of hearing aids or other assistive listening devices
  • instruct individuals in the care and maintenance of amplification and other assistive devices
  • design rehabilitation programs to help persons learn to identify sounds
  • conduct Auditory Brainstem Response/Evoked Potentials
  • collaborate with professionals, individuals, and patients families or caregivers on strategies to meet the needs of children or adults with hearing loss

Public Health Departments

Speech, language, and audiology services vary by state. Some states offer no services. In general, audiologists and speech-language pathologists provide consultative services to various agencies, contractual services, or direct services to patients.

Research Agencies

Audiologists, speech-language pathologists, and speech/language/hearing scientists may work at a number of institutes and laboratories, such as the National Institutes of Health and the Bell Laboratories.

Uniformed Services

Audiology and speech-language pathology clinicians and scientists are employed in the federal uniformed services (e.g., U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy and the Public Health Service). Learn more about uniformed services positions.

Special Schools

Developmental Learning Center/Day Care and Treatment Centers

Developmental learning centers are usually state-funded facilities that offer infant and preschool programs for children with disabilities. Day care centers sometimes hire audiologists and speech-language pathologists to provide screening, diagnosis, and treatment.

State Schools and Intermediate Facilities for Children with Mental Retardation

These facilities usually hire audiologists and speech-language pathologists to provide diagnosis and treatment.

Private and Group Practice

Having your own practice puts you in charge, with rewards and responsibilities. The audiologist and/or speech-language pathologist singly or in affiliation with one or more individuals has total ethical, professional, and administrative control of the practice; has total financial and legal responsibility and liability; and is self-employed.

Colleges and Universities

Opportunities abound for teaching, research, and clinical supervision. You may work with a variety of clients/patients in the university core clinical facility and /or its affiliated health care facility.

Industrial Audiology

Audiologists plan and execute a program of hearing conservation for workers.

Health Care

Outpatient Clinics

Audiologists and speech-language pathologists provide services to adults and children in free-standing or hospital-based outpatient clinics. Professionals may also be employed by physicians and provide services from the physician's office.

Additional Health Care Settings

SLPs may be employed by or contract with nursing homes or assisted living facilities, day treatment centers, or home health
agencies. Audiologists may serve as consultants to provide services in these settings.

Corporate Speech-Language Pathology

Corporate speech-language pathology involves providing services to a company, or its customers, as a consultant. SLPs offer
assessment and training in many aspects of communication—such as articulation, fluency, voice, language, and hearing—as well as other services needed by the business world. These include presentation skills, foreign and regional accent modification, professional diction and grammar, interviewing skills, business writing, and business communication etiquette. SLPs may even train customer representatives to work with clients who have hearing loss.

Share This Page

Print This Page