Building Blocks for State Associations
Develop State Association Operations
- Take time to renew your state association recognition [PDF].
- Find help on writing nonprofit bylaws.
- Review this free basic guide to leadership and supervision.
- Build an effective nonprofit board.
- Develop your PAC: Review ASHA's PAC Manual [PDF].
- Review the Checks and Balances presentation [PDF] to make sure your finances are in order.
- Understand the Board's fiduciary responsibilities [PDF].
- Find resources on convention planning on the Professional Convention Management Association's Web site. On this site you'll find model contracts, planning tools, checklists for contracts, and negotiation tips.
- The Convention Industry Council has a handbook on accepted practices for developing contracts and post-event reports. Associations will also find cost saving/budgets for ideas on how to cut costs for your meetings.
- Learn more about association management companies and search the directory in ASAE's Guide to Association Management Companies, Supplement to Associations Now, 07/09 [PDF, 3.4MB].
- Need a step-by-step guide for selecting a management company? ASAE has an article to help, Here's Help Finding and Selecting an Association Management Company, AMC Connection, January 2000.
- Need addition resources? ASAE has a number of resources that other associations have developed and shared, including their ever-growing collection of models and samples used by real associations and industry partners, designed to generate ideas and save you time. If you are interested in learning more about a topic, check out ASAE's articles index.
- The Convention Industry Council and Convention Planit has information and forms for developing RFPs, meeting and site profiles, and best accepted practices for developing contracts and post-event reports, along with other conference planning information to help you plan the best meeting with a cost saving budget.