You do not have JavaScript Enabled on this browser. Please enable it in order to use the full functionality of our website.

West Virginia Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Minimum of a master's degree or equivalent with coursework approved by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA)
  2. 350 clock hours of clinical practicum
  3. Nine months of supervised postgraduate professional experience or verification of CCC's; any person who completes a clinical doctorate in audiology (AuD) from an accredited institution is deemed to have fulfilled the clinical practicum.
  4. Passage of the ETS national exam


  1. Physicians and surgeons
  2. Individuals trained in hearing testing or balance system assessments under the direct supervision of a physician or surgeon
  3. Credentialed teachers of the deaf
  4. Students appropriately designated as intern or trainee
  5. Hearing aid dealers/fitters
  6. Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation technicians
  7. Licensed persons acting within their scope of practice
  8. Qualified non-residents who register with the Board of Examiners and practice speech language pathology or audiology for no more than five days in any calendar year


The Board of Examiners shall waive the examination requirement for:

  1. An applicant currently licensed in another state with equivalent standards 
  2. Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) holders
  3. A person with licensure in another state with equivalent standards and CCC holders may practice speech-language pathology or audiology in the state pending Board of Examiners disposition of their applications.

Interim Practice

Clinical fellows must obtain a provisional license and obtain 10 hours of continuing education if renewing the provisional license.

Continuing Education

Twenty clock hours of continuing education are required per biennium; dual licensees must obtain 30 hours per biennium. One hour per year of ethics will be required for the 2016 renewal.


For information on West Virginia telepractice requirements, visit State Telepractice Requirements.

Board Oversight

Board of Examiners of Speech & Language Pathology and Audiology


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners