Missouri Licensing Requirements for Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Master's or doctoral degree from an ASHA Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) accredited program or other accrediting agency approved by the Advisory Commission for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (Commission)
  2. Evidence of completion of coursework and clinical practicum equivalent to that required by the CAA
  3. Clinical fellowship; persons with an audiology clinical doctorate degree are exempt from this provision
  4. Passage of the national examination for speech-language pathology and audiology


  1. Federal employees
  2. Certified teachers of the deaf
  3. Students
  4. Physicians and surgeons
  5. Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation (CAOHC) technicians
  6. Public school employees with a certificate issued by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education while providing services in the school system
  7. When a fee is charged or compensation received, individual must be licensed; this includes college or university clinics that charge a fee, supervisors of student clinicians shall be licensed.


  • The Commission may issue a license to an applicant licensed in another jurisdiction with equivalent or more stringent standards. 
  • The Commission may issue a license to a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) holder.

Interim Practice

The Commission shall issue a provisional license to an applicant who has met the requirements for practicum and academic requirements from an accredited training program and is beginning the supervised postgraduate professional experience. A provisional license is effective for one year; it may be extended for 12 months only for the purpose of completing the postgraduate clinical experience.

Continuing Education

Licensees must complete 30 hours of continuing education per biennium. Dual licensees must complete 30 hours of continuing education in each field. Continuing education hours cannot be carried over to the next reporting period.


Missouri does not currently regulate telepractice. For information on states that do regulate telepractice, visit State Telepractice Requirements.

Board Oversight

Advisory Commission for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

Our Partners