Missouri Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the state Department of Education. State licensure is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech Language Pathologist

The speech and language pathologist, Initial Student Services Certificate, valid for a period of four years from the effective date of the certificate, will be issued to those persons meeting the following requirements:

  1. A valid, unencumbered, undisciplined Missouri license as a speech-language pathologist from the Missouri Board of Registration for the Healing Arts.
  2. Master's degree in speech pathology from a college or university having a teacher education program approved by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education or from a college or university having a teacher education program approved by the state education agency in states other than Missouri.
  3. Recommendation of designated official for teacher education in the college or university.
  4. Grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in the major area of study.
  5. Praxis II Specialty Area Test titled Speech-Language Pathology designated by the State Board of Education with a score equal to or greater than the Missouri qualifying score.
  6. Completion of professional requirements as determined by the recommending college or university, which may exceed these minimum requirements.
  7. Fingerprint background clearance within the past 12 months.

Changes to Licensure Requirements

Beginning August 28, 2015, individuals applying for a permanent license to practice as a speech-language pathologist and/or audiologist in Missouri will no longer need to complete a clinical fellowship in order to obtain a permanent license. Furthermore, the Board will no longer issue provisional licenses to individuals seeking to complete their clinical fellowship year. Any individual who is attempting to complete a clinical fellowship in Missouri must now apply for a permanent license.

  • For any individuals who currently possess a provisional license, said license will remain in effect until its expiration date. After the provisional license expires, anyone seeking to continue to practice in Missouri must then apply for a permanent license. Individuals wishing to obtain a permanent license who hold a current provisional license, but do not wish to wait for their provisional license to expire may apply for a permanent license at any time by submitting the appropriate application and fee. 
  • For any individuals who have submitted an application for a provisional license, including the necessary fee(s), but were not granted a provisional license prior to August 28, 2015, will have the option of having their application fee refunded, or applied to the fee requirements for a permanent license.

Become familiar with the licensure board site as additional changes to licensure will be occurring in 2016.

Continuing Education Requirement

The speech-language pathologist student services certificate may be renewed every five years by verification by the employing school district that the certificate holder has completed 20 contact hours of professional development annually; or verification of a valid, unencumbered and undisciplined Missouri license as a speech-language pathologist from the Missouri Board of Registration for Healing Arts.

Emergency Certification

Temporary Authorization Certification requires a bachelor's degree or higher in subject area to be taught or in a closely related field.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners