Arkansas Licensing Regulations for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Master's or doctoral degree in communicative disorders from an educational institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Board of Examiners or ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) granted subsequent to January 1, 1993
  2. Clinical summary signed by a program director of an accredited program verifying completion of clinical practicum requirements
  3. Thirty-six weeks of supervised full-time (or equivalent part-time) paid professional experience
  4. Passage of a national exam (Praxis)


  1. Physicians
  2. Hearing aid dealers
  3. Any other person licensed by the state from engaging in the profession or occupation for which he/she is licensed
  4. Department of Education certified employees of a public school system
  5. Students designated as speech-language pathology or audiology interns or trainees
  6. Speech-language pathology services offered within the confines of the Division of Developmental Disability Services if that person holds a bachelor's degree in speech-language pathology and is supervised by a licensed speech-language pathologist
  7. Nonresidents licensed in another state with equivalent standards or CCC holders may offer services for no more than 30 days per fiscal year if in cooperation with a licensed practitioner
  8. Nonresidents may offer services for no more than five days per calendar year if in cooperation with a licensed practitioner and the individual is eligible for licensure in the state


  1. The Board of Examiners may grant reciprocity to any applicant licensed in another state, the District of Columbia, or U.S. territory with equivalent standards
  2. The Board of Examiners may grant a license to any CCC holder

Interim Practice

  1. Applicants for a provisional license must possess a master's degree and be in the process of completing the paid professional experience and pass an exam approved by the Board of Examiners. Application must be made within 30 days of beginning the professional experience. This license may be renew annually for up to 36 months.
  2. ASHA certified individuals may practice pending disposition of their application.

Continuing Education

Ten clock hours of continuing education are required per year, with at least 5 hours from Content Area I [PDF]; dual licensees must complete 15 clock hours per year, with at least 5 hours from Content Area I.


For information on Arkansas telepractice regulations, visit State Telepractice Requirements.

Board Oversight

Arkansas Board of Examiners in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners