This agreement assists protégés and mentors with structuring the mentoring experience. It is a tool to help both protégé and mentor discuss and establish expectations so that the MARC program is successful for both parties.
Protégés and Mentors agree to
- determine the frequency and modality of communications;
- contact email@example.com as soon as possible if there are any questions or concerns about the mentoring relationship;
- complete the anonymous MARC Program survey at the end of the program year in May;
- take advantage of the MARC Community, an online discussion forum for MARC participants.
Protégé agrees to
- make initial contact with mentor within one week of receipt of match information;
- discuss with mentor reasons for participating in MARC and begin to establish mutually agreed upon goals and expectations for the MARC program (the sample agreement is one tool that facilitates this activity);
- consider utilizing the sample MARC Interim Checklist [PDF] to help gauge progress towards mutually agreed upon goals and expectations.
Mentor agrees to
- discuss with protégé reasons for participating in MARC and begin to establish mutually agreed upon goals and expectations for the MARC program;
- maintain communication with protege according to mutually agreed upon frequency and modality (e.g., phone and e-mail);
- share knowledge and expertise as well as acknowledge the potential contributions protégé may provide to an established academic career.