Research Mentoring-Pair Travel Award Application Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
It is the protégé's responsibility to submit the following by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, Wednesday, July 1, 2015, in the online application system:
- application form;
- protégé's curriculum vitae, resume, or narrative biographical sketch detailing educational, clinical, and research experiences;
- 1,000-word essay stating
mentor's curriculum vitae;
mentor's letter of support that includes statements on the following
- current research interests and activities,
- how attendance at this meeting could serve to enhance personal research career goals,
- why this mentor-protégé team is an appropriate match and will facilitate the goals of the protégé;
- awareness of the protégé's research goals, and how they relate to the mentor's research interest and activities,
- commitment to help support the protégé research goals by working with him/her prior to Convention to develop questions to ask at the Symposium, and by attending the entire Symposium including lunch and dinner networking events.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I apply for the award if I have already received ASHA Convention funding from another source?
An individual who has received other ASHA travel awards is also eligible to apply for the RMPTA.
Who can I apply with as my mentor? Does he or she have to be someone at my university, or may they be based elsewhere?
Protégés are able to pick a mentor of their choice; however, mentors are required to be seasoned investigators in either in an academic, clinical, or research environment.
What will the award application review process entail?
The Research Mentoring-Pair Travel Awards will be made based on a competitive application process. Following the submission deadline, all applications will be sent to a group of designated reviewers. Selections will be based on reviewers' score of the following documents:
- biographical sketch
- 1,000-word essay
- letter of support from the mentor
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application in August.