Continuing Education Opportunities Through Special Interest Group Affiliation
Earn CEUs by Studying Perspectives
Quick Facts About Perspectives
- Perspectives is published online-only by ASHA with HighWire Press.
- Each SIG publishes one to four times a year.
- All SIG affiliates can access full-text content of all SIGs' Perspectives.
- Affiliates are automatically signed up to receive e-mail notifications that alert them when each issue of their SIG's Perspectives is published. Affiliates may also sign up to receive alerts for Perspectives published by other SIGs.
- In order to view the full-text content of Perspectives, first activate your HighWire account [PDF].
The Self-Study Process
Each issue is published with a CE questions PDF file that shows all of the questions and includes a link to the secure testing site.
You will be prompted to log in; use your ASHA ID and password.
A $5 fee, payable in advance by credit card only, is needed for the exam processor. The site will display exams for all open activities for your SIG, so check the issue information to ensure you open the exam for the issue you have studied. If you accidentally pay for the "wrong" exam (an exam you are not yet prepared to take), don't worry. The system will "remember" you paid, and you will not have to pay again when you return to take the exam at a later date.
Issues of Perspectives are available for self-study throughout the calendar year.
Participants have two opportunities to pass an exam.
Participants receive immediate feedback (including the right answers if you pass the exam but miss a couple of questions) and a Certificate of Completion, which is stored in an online archive.
Test results are transmitted to ASHA CE and, if the member is part of the CE Registry, the number of CEUs earned will be recorded (allow 4–6 weeks).
CEUs are offered on an issue-by-issue (not article) basis, with typically .2 or .3 CEUs per issue. Refer to each issue for details about the CEUs offered, instructional level, and content area.
ASHA Convention and Meetings
Every SIG offers a Short Course on its topic area at ASHA's annual Convention. SIG affiliates are eligible for a discount on select Short Courses.
SIGs sponsor major ASHA meetings on their respective subject areas. Affiliates of those SIGs can attend at reduced prices when they register early.