Resolutions and Motions Being Considered
The following resolutions and motions are being considered by the Board of Directors.
We welcome your input on any of the topics. Please send your comments to the Board of Directors before the closing of the discussion period.
RESOLVED, That Articles IV and V of the
Bylaws be amended to read as follows (text to be deleted is crossed
out, and text to be added is underlined):
Article IV - Board of Directors
4.3. A committee consisting of six members and the Immediate
Past President serving as Chair shall present a slate of no more
than three but at least two candidates for each office to be
elected by the membership. Three members of the committee shall be
electedappointed to staggered 2-year terms by each of the Advisory
Councilsthe Committee on Committees, and their term of office
shall begin on January 1.
Article V - Advisory Councils
An Audiology Advisory Council and a Speech-Language Pathology
Advisory Council shall be established to identify and discuss
issues of concern to members and provide advice to the Board of
Directors. The Advisory Councils and its members shall not make any
public statement or take positions on behalf of the Association or
the Advisory Council without having obtained approval from the
Board of Directors. Each Advisory Council shall have the following
- Identify, analyze, discuss, and
prioritize issues of concern to members.
- Advise the Board of Directors on
issues that need to be considered as the Association engages in
planning to advance the purposes of the Association.
- Provide advice to the Board of
Directors on issues the Board of Directors brings to the Advisory
- Review ASHA's approved budget and
forecasts and provide input and recommendations on budget items to
consider in the development of the next year's budget, including
the need for any dues increase.
- Participate in the peer review of all
ASHA policy documents.
- Review and comment on policy
documents prior to final approval by the Board of Directors.
Elect representatives from eligible
members of the Association to the following committees and
Committee on Honors
Committee on Nominations and Elections
Financial Planning Board
Government Relations and Public Policy
Discussion Open until 10/10. Voting to occur at October
2014 BOD Meeting.
RESOLVED, That the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Board of Directors (BOD) establish the Ad Hoc Committee on the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) charged with applying the ICF framework to goal setting and outcomes measurement, and helping members focus on function by advising, providing input, reviewing, and promoting the following products and activities:
- Develop simple modules to educate members on use of the ICF framework to develop functional treatment goals and determine outcomes.
- Develop standard templates and examples of functional goals using the ICF framework.
- Promote use of the ICF framework among members as the standard, acceptable practice in the treatment of communication and swallowing disorders; and further
RESOLVED, That the Committee will form immediately after the appointments are made and will conclude December 31, 2015; and further
RESOLVED, That the Committee comprise eight members appointed by the Committee on Committees, including individuals from other professions who also implement the ICF and international audiologists and/or speech-language pathologists who use the ICF and, serving as BOD liaisons, the Vice President for Speech-Language Pathology Practice and Vice President for Audiology Practice:
- Four (4) at-large speech-language pathologist and/or audiologist members familiar with the application of the ICF to clinical documentation, to include a chair who provides clinical services and a representative from the Health Care Economics Committee
- One (1) physical therapist
- One (1) occupational therapist
- Two (2) international audiologists and/or speech-language pathologists
- ASHA’s Vice President for Speech-Language Pathology Practice
- ASHA’s Vice President for Audiology Practice; and further
RESOLVED, That the committee conduct its work primarily via e-mail and web meeting with one face-to-face meeting to be held in 2015; and further
RESOLVED, That the Committee chair be designated by the Vice President for Speech-Language Pathology Practices and the Vice President for Audiology Practices; and further
RESOLVED, That the Standard Operating Policy document for the Ad Hoc Committee on the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) be approved.
Supporting Documentation [PDF]
Discussion open until 9/3. Voting open 9/4-9/7.
There are no motions currently being considered.