ASHA's Research Mentoring (ARM) Network: Lessons for Success
Lessons for Success aims to provide intensive training to a promising group of emerging scientists in the areas of (a) grant preparation and funding opportunities, (b) development and management of a successful program of research, and (c) advancement of professional competencies. This grant-writing "boot camp" provides invaluable advice and guidance from senior faculty with strong histories of research funding.
Attendance is limited to approximately 30 participants selected through an application process. The following eligibility requirements apply:
- PhD students at the level of candidacy, postdoctoral fellows, or junior faculty (below the level of associate professor) who show promise for a productive research career
- individuals holding a clinical doctorate or MD are eligible to apply, and will be considered on a case-by-case basis for their plans to develop an independent research career
- applicants must have applied for extramural research funding (e.g., a foundation research grant; a small research grant, fellowship, career-development award, or minority supplement from a federal or state funding agency)
- eligible funding does not include loan repayment awards, scholarships, personnel preparation grants, small business innovation research grants (e.g., SBIR), or community service grants
- individuals who have applied for, but have not received, external funding are eligible to apply, although priority for selection of participants is given to those who have obtained external funding
- individuals who have already been awarded an R01 and/or obtained tenure are considered too advanced for the purposes of Lessons for Success
Lessons for Success consists of a combination of lectures, mock reviews, and small-group sessions. Each participant is assigned a Lessons for Success faculty member.
View last year's agenda.
How to Attend
The application period opens in the fall. Applicants must complete the online application form, upload several PDF documents through the online application system, and submit the entire application package by 11:59 p.m EST, January 12, 2015. See the application instructions for details.
Lessons for Success is scheduled for April 27–29, 2015, at the ASHA National Office in Rockville, Maryland. There is no registration fee. Funds are provided for participant travel, hotel, and meals (up to an allowance).
For more information, please view the frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, please contact ASHA's Academic Affairs and Research Education unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Participants and Faculty
Lessons for Success is supported by a U13 grant from the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) and is co-sponsored by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) and the American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation (ASHFoundation). It is planned and coordinated by the Research and Scientific Affairs Committee, the Lessons for Success Steering Committee, and ASHA's Academic Affairs and Research Education unit.